Toyota moving to "subscription" key fobs

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Isn't THAT a great idea? Monthly service fee just for a frickin remote

One of the best Channels on YT. I am a Toyota guy and without a doubt anything past 2017 is no where in my future....

JW

It's brilliant if you are the vendor
Kinda like Microsoft
You no longer "own" the software, you now rent it

Highway robbery is what it is

LMFAO........."Sure if you want to go and unlock and start your car like an animal"

Then the Dork starts speculating that every option will come with a monthly fee.......Like heated seats and AWD....Geez.

Lawsuits will follow as that was not part of the original purchase agreement, or was it in the small print???

LMFAO........."Sure if you want to go and unlock and start your car like an animal"

Then the Dork starts speculating that every option will come with a monthly fee.......Like heated seats and AWD....Geez.

Not a bad spin "don't pay for heated seats or AWD in the summer"

I live in an all MoPar home. No Toyota or Tesla in my future however.....if ma Mopar goes that way I am done. I will never pay for an app to run something on my vehicle. Ever.

I could give a **** about options. Just a reliable mode of transportation is what I care about. It's been pissing me off for years how the dealers load their lots with highly optioned vehicles giving you little choice unless you want to wait for a base model. Then they give you the great deal of knocking down the $3k option to $1500 trying to make you think that you got a deal.

I could give a **** about options. Just a reliable mode of transportation is what I care about. It's been pissing me off for years how the dealers load their lots with highly optioned vehicles giving you little choice unless you want to wait for a base model. Then they give you the great deal of knocking down the $3k option to $1500 trying to make you think that you got a deal.

The Toyota 4runner market has zero deals right now. I belong to a T4R group and those buyers love em' more than I ever will.... Basically everyone is paying substantially over MSRP for them. Nutz if you ask me... I bought one in April and right before the market went bonkers for them....

JW

The ONLY good thing right now is that dealers will give you good money on a trade. Be careful on the roads because you are not going to get new market money on a totalled vehicle and pay a premium on a replacement.

The Toyota 4runner market has zero deals right now. I belong to a T4R group and those buyers love em' more than I ever will.... Basically everyone is paying substantially over MSRP for them. Nutz if you ask me... I bought one in April and right before the market went bonkers for them....

JW
People are brutal....We put value on the strangest things and do it to ourselves? I personally have tried to steer clear of the mainstream. Been driving trucks since I was old enough to drive. Back when farmers used them and they were the cheapest vehicle on the road that drove like a tractor. Now they are like inflated limo's, and people drive them to get groceries. My next vehicle probably won't be a truck.

I got into this A body gig before the market went stupid. I would not jump in today.

Subscription services are the future. You need a subscription service to maintain your freedom through regular covid-19 booster jabs in many countries now... where does it end? Where do you draw the line?

Not a bad spin "don't pay for heated seats or AWD in the summer"

They will figure out how to charge a startup fee if it's lapsed that is almost the same as if you keep paying per month.

If we are now leasing software, what's to stop them from charging a recurring fee for the CANBUS and engine management code?

Lawsuits will follow as that was not part of the original purchase agreement, or was it in the small print???

It was clearly stated on page 346, section 87, paragraph 12, line 103.

They will figure out how to charge a startup fee if it's lapsed that is almost the same as if you keep paying per month.

In the big picture if you can afford a 2022 car then $8.00 for a monthly fee is really nothing. That is now basically a cup of coffee and a biscuit these days.

What this will do is open a platform of what people are going to pay for. That's how I see it anyways....

JW

Ahhh. Don't like it don't buy it. I'm sure they will still have lines of people buying their products.

I'm sure lots said they would never pay for tv too. Or they would stop smoking when cigarettes hit $5 a pack. Lol

JW

Tacoma's are nuts too.

Kinda like the DMV does with your license plates

wait 'till they figure out they can disable your vehicle and charge a monthly fee to keep it enabled.

...like the DMV can disable your ability to legally drive if you don't pay them every year/4 years.

wait 'till they figure out they can disable your vehicle and charge a monthly fee to keep it enabled.

...like the DMV can disable your ability to legally drive if you don't pay them every year/4 years.

sure they are well aware of it already.. just haven't found a legal way to do it yet.. :)

-
Back