TQ novice needs more advice

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Am I correct that the top picture shows a TQ fuel bowl with an open trough, and the one below it has a closed trough?

The dam across the trough doesn't rise up quite as high as the gasket surfaces.

Have I got this right? Thanks again.

TQ troughs.jpg

Thanks for the reply, rumblefish360. Let's see if I can ask my question more precisely.

From the Tomco website it appears that there are two different kinds of TQ phenolic fuel bowls: open trough and closed trough. The website has a drawing showing the difference (so at least I know that I'm looking at the right area of the fuel bowl!), but their drawing is really hard to read so you can't tell what the exact difference between the two types really is. Also, I believe the two different kinds of fuel bowls take different rebuild kits, so you need to know what kind of fuel bowl you've got in order to buy the correct rebuild kit. Am I right about that?

Now I'm not sure about this, but it also appears from the Tomco site that some TQ throttle plates take a closed trough fuel bowl and some take an open trough one. I am just trying to make sure that I am matching the correct type of fuel bowl with the throttle plate that I want to use.

Or am I making this too complicated? Can you use either type of fuel bowl with any type of throttle plate?

Thanks again for your help!

Ooooo, in that case I’d say you are correct and proceed to the check out counter.

Yes, there are different bowls so you do need the correct one. You can mix and match various years of TQ parts but not all of them. It’s easier to say, mix and match within given years than a cross the board. The newer the TQ gets, the more they added onto it and reworked the insides. Somethings you can see like at the rear of the carb on the top plate where it can be a angled fuel inlet or a vertical one with a vent. Same with the front of the carb. Other things that are hard to see or can’t be seen unless disassembled are things like added air vents in the primary venturi’s, reworked fuel
Paths. Even the gaskets change.

Is it easy to get in touch with TomCo?

Thanks for the reply, rumblefish360. Let's see if I can ask my question more precisely.

From the Tomco website it appears that there are two different kinds of TQ phenolic fuel bowls: open trough and closed trough. The website has a drawing showing the difference (so at least I know that I'm looking at the right area of the fuel bowl!), but their drawing is really hard to read so you can't tell what the exact difference between the two types really is. Also, I believe the two different kinds of fuel bowls take different rebuild kits, so you need to know what kind of fuel bowl you've got in order to buy the correct rebuild kit. Am I right about that?

Now I'm not sure about this, but it also appears from the Tomco site that some TQ throttle plates take a closed trough fuel bowl and some take an open trough one. I am just trying to make sure that I am matching the correct type of fuel bowl with the throttle plate that I want to use.

Or am I making this too complicated? Can you use either type of fuel bowl with any type of throttle plate?

Thanks again for your help!

-
Back