trans cooler hose routing Q

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart stock car buildup 360/904. I have 2 coolers in front of the radiator. I was wondering if also using the bottom radiator cooling fittings in series would give me a significant gain as the hose routing on this addition would be a bit problematic but I would do it if a reasonable gain is there to be had. And the instructions said to use their (included) special hose but I might need more & it said fuel line is a no no. thank you for your time. RR

forphorty

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the rad cooler. If I was to do anything, I would swap the two coolers for one large one. Simpler and fewer fittings to potentially leak.

jazak5

Reaction score
..do you need an additional external cooler for racing or towing?
towing and anything looser than a factory torque converter/run mine after the radiator (return)

BKCowGod

Reaction score
I had radiator and a single external cooler. I bypassed the radiator one and noticed zero change to trans temps (of course, not like I'm working the trans hard behind my slant six)

rustycowll69

Reaction score
63 dart stock car buildup 360/904. I have 2 coolers in front of the radiator. I was wondering if also using the bottom radiator cooling fittings in series would give me a significant gain as the hose routing on this addition would be a bit problematic but I would do it if a reasonable gain is there to be had. And the instructions said to use their (included) special hose but I might need more & it said fuel line is a no no. thank you for your time. RR
My 76 w200 came with an oem auxiliary trans cooler, probably for towing pkg and/or severe use cooling pkg. Ma Mopar ran all hard lines, no rubber. Went to the rad first then to the auxiliary cooler, then back to 727B trans.

Bewy

Reaction score
[1] If the engine runs hot, good idea NOT to use the trans cooler in the rad.
[2] Trans rubber hose is a higher pressure rating than fuel hose for a carb. Carb hose might swell or burst. Better to get the correct hose. I use the blue Aeroflow hose.
I have nipples in the trans & have removed the metal lines. Just use hose all the way; easier to re-route & when working on the car.

forphorty

Reaction score
I use -6 AN Russell Pro Classic on my Duster.

duster 10-5-19 003.JPG

duster 10-8-19 002.JPG

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
Here's how I installed the 2 coolers. I did not use the radiator lower tank. I used the hose in the kit & I think that is a gates logo there on the left end & says made in Mexico. the blue box was a NAPA item, I missed the brand but iirc it was a good brand. I did google blue aero form hose & a bunch came up. RR

SAM_1236.JPG

SAM_1237.JPG

SAM_1238.JPG

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
[1] If the engine runs hot, good idea NOT to use the trans cooler in the rad.
[2] Trans rubber hose is a higher pressure rating than fuel hose for a carb. Carb hose might swell or burst. Better to get the correct hose. I use the blue Aeroflow hose.
I have nipples in the trans & have removed the metal lines. Just use hose all the way; easier to re-route & when working on the car.
Hmmm, those metal lines can be a pain in the *** to "Play" around.