trans leak

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
anyone know if there is an easy way to stop a speedometer sender from leaking on a 727 ? don`t want to try and find a new one , as I have 3:73 geares w/ 29.5 " tall tires on my fish. or if they still even make these, and which one would that combo take?-- thanks, bob

They have a replaceable seal around the inside where the speedo shaft goes through the housing, and an oring around the entire round part of the housing.
I got a new oring and seal from the local trans shop, but O'Reilly Auto has them also.
You can even double up on the inner seals around the shaft.

The little steel ring is the retainer for the inside seal/s.

seals.jpg

I had an annoying leak from the speedo sender a few years back. Replacing the seals didn't help. I finally removed the housing and found that there was a pinhole in the aluminum! Not sure how it got there or how long it was there. I sealed it with RVT, reassembled with the now very slightly used seals and the leak stopped.

Trailbeast mentioned it already, but I'll say it again, the small seal that seals on the inside of the unit will wear a groove in the plastic where it rides on the gear. Double up that seal by stacking them will stop the leak.

Trailbeast mentioned it already, but I'll say it again, the small seal that seals on the inside of the unit will wear a groove in the plastic where it rides on the gear. Double up that seal by stacking them will stop the leak.

Does that inner seal ride on the plastic gear? I though it rode on the steel shaft.

If a new stock seal doesn't do the job doubling up on them like Roy said might do it. If it doesn't use the seal made for a Chevy 350 turbo. It's the same diameter but has a spring in it to hold it tight around the shaft. I've seen 2 styles of 350 turbo seals. One is steel outside with no coating. The other is rubber coated. Don't get the rubber coated one even though it sounds like it'd be better. Problem is you can't drive them in cause the rubber just won't slide in the aluminum housing

They have a replaceable seal around the inside where the speedo shaft goes through the housing, and an oring around the entire round part of the housing.
I got a new oring and seal from the local trans shop, but O'Reilly Auto has them also.
You can even double up on the inner seals around the shaft.

The little steel ring is the retainer for the inside seal/s.

View attachment 1715023949
thanks , will definitely check w/ o riellys.
thanks men, good info.----------------

-
Back