Trans Line Bracket. How is it mounted?

-

Big_John

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Reaction score
I noticed that the trans line bracket at the bellhousing was missing from my '65 Formula S Barracuda. 273 with a 904 trans.

After checking part numbers etc. I came up with this as a replacement. I think it's the right piece... or close enough anyway.

s-l1600.jpg

I can't figure out what the orientation of the bracket is. If I put it so the lines fit, the bracket doesn't bolt to the bellhousing right. If I put it where I think it goes on the bellhousing, it doesn't clip to the lines.

I'm not afraid to bend the lines to the right place, but I'd like to know what's right.

Anyone have a good picture?

just thinking out loud here ~ is that the one that goes up between the engine and oil pan?

just thinking out loud here ~ is that the one that goes up between the engine and oil pan?
Yea, kinda. It's between the engine and the bellhousing, under the starter. The lower bolt that the engine to trans brace fastens to.

fPaUOM9.jpg

This is the way I think it goes, clip facing towards the top and between the brace and the bellhousing. But it just doesn't look like what I've seen and remember.

RG3IYnB.jpg

bolt hole up under lower starter nut and tubes are underneath starter/bellhousing/bracket. Guessing...

Yea, kinda. It's between the engine and the bellhousing, under the starter. The lower bolt that the engine to trans brace fastens to.

View attachment 1715595051

This is the way I think it goes, clip facing towards the top and between the brace and the bellhousing. But it just doesn't look like what I've seen and remember.

View attachment 1715595052
you're in the right area, it's just a matter of orientation.. IIRC it doesn't point up as you have it, in fact I think it points down. Try seeing if there is a "sweet spot" where it feels like it's not forcing the lines together. It does attach to the bell housing ~ but you knew that.
Someone will chime in here eventually with a definitive answer.

With old or new lines, you most of the time end up re-forming at some point. When I did my slant I placed the bracket and then fit the lines so it would line up. It still was a PITA.
IMG_8214.JPG

So these older ones bolt to th bell unlike the newer ones that bolt to the lower starter stud? Thanks. Kim
I don't think it can mount anywhere except the lower bolt on the bellhousing. At least where the lines are passing along the side of trans on my car anyway.

This is the parts manual.

trans2.jpg

I needed to just get this done and ended up mounting it like this. I'd still like to know what the right way is, but at least it works in this position.

hU7XrKf.jpg

-
Back