Transgo TF2 on a 904 is not shifting

-

Danizanon

Reaction score
I bought transgo TF2 and installed as instructions... but when on Drive it doesn't shift... stays in 1st.
The kick down cable is not installed.
Any clue?

Maybe you have to shift it ? manual shift I thought was the only one that did not use kickdown

The TF2 kit isn't a manual shift, so the throttle pressure needs to be hooked up and adjusted properly.
That said, if no TP is connected the trans should shift way to soft and early.
It's possible a piece of junk got in one of the valves or the governor causing it to stick and not shift.
Does it have engine braking in first?

The very first thing I would try is rev that thing up nice and high and see if it can be forced to shift.
It may clear anything sticking and be fine after.

Seems like the governor is sticking. U may have to pull off the tail housing. Did u change the manual valve? Did u adjust it properly? Kim

The TF2 kit isn't a manual shift, so the throttle pressure needs to be hooked up and adjusted properly.
That said, if no TP is connected the trans should shift way to soft and early.
It's possible a piece of junk got in one of the valves or the governor causing it to stick and not shift.
Does it have engine braking in first?

The very first thing I would try is rev that thing up nice and high and see if it can be forced to shift.
It may clear anything sticking and be fine after.
It hasn't engine braking, when you release gas it disengages... so if no KD cable it will shift.. early but shift? So probably the lack of KD cable will not be the shifting problem?

Last edited:
It hasn't engine braking, when you release gas it disengages... so if no KD cable it will shift.. early but shift? So probably the lack of KD cable will not be the shifting problem?

No engine braking in first usually means something is hanging up instead of completing the shift.
Without a TP setup connected it would still shift, but way early and soft.

If you can't force the shift, then likely you will need to pull the valve body again and clean it real good paying special attention to the valves and valve bores.
It is a really good idea to move the valves with a small pocket screwdriver or pick to make sure they can move.
Over torquing the valve body can stick valves also.

You may even have to pull the tail shaft housing and clean the governor.

IF the trans shifted okay before then you messed something up. Time to go over your work and post lots of pics.
Actualy I bought it and rebuilded it ... bought a banner kit and changed all the internal discs... didn't know if it was working... it seems to be ok... previous owner told me that was working

The only different thing we did was to put a small tube on the lock up valve to make her always closed.. because my tranny was lock up and my converter wasn't

"because my tranny was lock up and my converter wasn't"..This is interesting to me because I want to run A500 front guts in a non-lockup 904.

If ur tranny is lock up u cannot use a non lock up converter Unless u changed the input shaft and assorted pieces. Does the input shaft have splines to the end? A lock up doesn’t have splines to the end. About 3/4 inch from the end is also smaller. Kim

Last edited:
If ur tranny is lock up u cannot use a non lock up converter Unless u changed the output shaft and assorted pieces. Does the output shaft have splines to the end? A lock up doesn’t have splines to the end. About 3/4 inch from the end is also smaller. Kim
--While I'm sure you meant "input" shaft, have you used a lockup pump in a non lockup trans? I want the five plate drum and especially the added direct drum support.

If ur tranny is lock up u cannot use a non lock up converter Unless u changed the input shaft and assorted pieces. Does the input shaft have splines to the end? A lock up doesn’t have splines to the end. About 3/4 inch from the end is also smaller. Kim
It will not fit? I thing mine is straight..

As Kim pointed out a lockup trans and non-lockup converter isn't compatible. If that's the case I'm surprised you got the converter to slip onto the input shaft at all. Do not attempt to drive this anymore until you get that corrected or disastrous results may occur (if they haven't already)

As Kim pointed out a lockup trans and non-lockup converter isn't compatible. If that's the case I'm surprised you got the converter to slip onto the input shaft at all. Do not attempt to drive this anymore until you get that corrected or disastrous results may occur (if they haven't already)
Screenshot_20190421-062559_WhatsApp.jpg
its looks like the same spline counts...

-
Back