Transmission advice

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
Hi All,
My 68 Barracuda is getting a new engine and rear end... a newly rebuilt 360 that should be good for 350 hp. Currently has straight 6 and /6 904.

I'm going to switch out the rear end to an 8.75" w/ 3.55 suregrip and also transmission (obviously). Here are my transmission choices:

1) A 727 that was rebuilt like 12 years ago, put in a Dart project, and left to rot. I bought the Dart for parts and grabbed this transmission (Dart had a 360). I drove this car roughly one block up a hill in Low to get into the garage where I stripped it down, sold the shell, and know nothing more about it.
2) A 904 from a running, driving 1978 Plymouth Volare. Based on the date I believe this to be one of the first lockup 904s.

Thoughts? This car will not be on the racetrack.

Thanks!

904, eats less horsepower, better gearing, light weight, even easier to build and you aren't making much that a decently built 904 couldn't handle...and lock up can give you a tamer cruise speed...so why not?
Non lockup would be better "converter wise"
The 833 would be best, "standard 4 speed" because it will literally last you forever.

I'm not a tranny expert, but if Chrysler put a 727 behind a 340 there must have been a good reason. As we all know if they could save $1.00 on a built car, why not put in the cheaper 904.

So do the 904 voters suggest rebuilding the transmission? I guess some part of me was hoping I could just put it directly in the car without spending any money (I don't know how to work on transmissions and will not be doing my learning on this particular car).

Does anyone happen to have a great Mopar transmission person in the California Bay Area?

So do the 904 voters suggest rebuilding the transmission? I guess some part of me was hoping I could just put it directly in the car without spending any money (I don't know how to work on transmissions and will not be doing my learning on this particular car).

Does anyone happen to have a great Mopar transmission person in the California Bay Area?

The 904 is easy and requires no expensive special tools to do. Vaseline, spray bottle of trans fluid to wet the clutches real good, snap ring pliers, feeler gauge..maybe a 10" c clamp.
If the bushings look good, leave'em. Buy a 3.8 or better 4.2 kickdown lever if it doesnt have one. Basic kit is 70 bucks +/- then get a 30.00 trans go shift kit. Books a plenty, videos etc. One of the the easiest AT to build along with the ford c4.

You can use Jeep low gears so you can run a highway rearend. That's what I put in my 66 Dart behind a stock 360. The 727 was unnecessary and I don't know about lower gears for them; unless maybe some overdrives have them. The stock 904 converter is a higher stall as well, so that's a little help.

I have a 408 6 Pack. I went with a built 904. Kinda know what I'm doing. But you can do what you want? 727 gets more hype. But if you wanna get the job done? 904 it!
20171210_151647.jpg

-
Back