Transmission Cross Members

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the early and late A body transmission cross members? Do they interchange? If not, has anyone ever modified a late cross member to work on an early A body? Thank you drive through.

The bolt holes are different measurements and configured different and the up and down angle is different. So I'd say no, just get the right unit for your car.

The orange one is the early A unit.

20220624_212506.jpg

20220624_212603.jpg

20220624_212635.jpg

20220624_212836.jpg

I ask because Silversport transmissions show the same cross member and say it fits 63-76. I was thinkin that wasn't right.

Thanks for the pictures!

I ask because Silversport transmissions show the same cross member and say it fits 63-76. I was thinkin that wasn't right.

Thanks for the pictures!
In reality there are some minor differences in the 75 and 6 ones too.

Last edited:
Well, I cannot just "use the right one for the car" because I am installing a T5 transmission, so it's going to have to be custom. I'll simply fab something up.

So you need another early one to cut is what you're saying?
I would prefer to have another one, yes. I want to leave all Vixen's original stuff untouched. Sounds stupid I know, especially since I will be cutting and modifying the transmission tunnel.

Well, I cannot just "use the right one for the car" because I am installing a T5 transmission, so it's going to have to be custom. I'll simply fab something up.

@cosgig used to modify the early a cross member to accept dual exhaust... Maybe he can give some advice on this task...

My 65 Dart wagon is getting a 42RH so the tunnel was modified and knew I would need to construct or modify something. So I took this 67-72 crossmember and modified/beefed it up to fit and use the insulator that was recommended by another site. Here is the only picture i have of it in it’s pre-finished state
3E64A06D-D228-41C0-BC05-F265957C1155.jpeg

In reality there are some minor differences in the 75 and 6 ones too.
Not all the '66 and earlier ones are identical either. They'll generally interchange though if you use the proper rubber mount and/or drill/fill holes for the correct look.

I have early cross members to sell, if needed. $60 plus ship

Wow, ya learn something every day. How much trouble am I in? I have a 72 Swinger with a /6 and 904 trans. I’m putting a 408 Stroker and a 727 trans in it with dual exhaust. I take it I’m not going to be able to use my original crossmember?

I know nothing about early A crossmembers. But when I changed from a pushbutton 727 to a later one in my B, I turned mine around left to right, and welded on a new trans mount platform. By flopping it around I could retain the pb mount location. Problem solved.

Wow, ya learn something every day. How much trouble am I in? I have a 72 Swinger with a /6 and 904 trans. I’m putting a 408 Stroker and a 727 trans in it with dual exhaust. I take it I’m not going to be able to use my original crossmember?
That should be no problem using what you have. That car could have come with a V8/727 and dual exhaust.

Yes with NO issues.

0E9BA3F7-4D41-4FCB-A516-467DC33CE3B4.jpeg
B81B0690-B7B9-4C23-95D0-ED86C2C583D0.jpeg
AD32B28D-D3DE-42A3-A2D9-8E4D00125B3B.jpeg
@RustyRatRod will this one work for what you need to do? It came out of my 65 Barracuda, and I have another one I’m gonna use to make work for dual exhaust. This one here might like to come home to GA! Some cobbler in Reynolds, GA did the mods to it that you can see. It’s yours if you want it.

View attachment 1715947546 View attachment 1715947547 View attachment 1715947548 @RustyRatRod will this one work for what you need to do? It came out of my 65 Barracuda, and I have another one I’m gonna use to make work for dual exhaust. This one here might like to come home to GA! Some cobbler in Reynolds, GA did the mods to it that you can see. It’s yours if you want it.
Another fine member is sending me an extra one, but I tell you what, I'll take that one too, as it will be some extra material if I need it. I get paid at the end of this coming week so I can send you enough for shipping.

My 65 Dart wagon is getting a 42RH so the tunnel was modified and knew I would need to construct or modify something. So I took this 67-72 crossmember and modified/beefed it up to fit and use the insulator that was recommended by another site. Here is the only picture i have of it in it’s pre-finished stateView attachment 1715946699
Thanks! That's giving me some ideas for sure!

I don't need dual exhaust. This is remaining a slant 6 car. I need to modify the cross member for a T5 transmission. @toolmanmike, I'm sorry this turned into a wanted thread. That was totally NOT my intention. Feel free to close or delete it if you want to.

Thanks for everyone's help. I believe I got what I needed.

No worries Rusty. Better to have too much info than not enough sometimes. I am curious as to what bellhousing you will be using for the T5. I have a T5 in my 67 Dart but I'm using a quicktime bell for my small block.

No worries Rusty. Better to have too much info than not enough sometimes. I am curious as to what bellhousing you will be using for the T5. I have a T5 in my 67 Dart but I'm using a quicktime bell for my small block.
I cannot disagree and I appreciate it greatly. I just don't want to cross the line to a wanted and it kinda did by accident.

Another fine member is sending me an extra one, but I tell you what, I'll take that one too, as it will be some extra material if I need it. I get paid at the end of this coming week so I can send you enough for shipping.

No worries on the shipping....if I ever make to your neck of the woods you can get me a Nehi and a 3 ply Moon Pie! :D Pretty sure I still have your address, but if not I'll send you a PM to get it.
:thumbsup:

No worries on the shipping....if I ever make to your neck of the woods you can get me a Nehi and a 3 ply Moon Pie! :D Pretty sure I still have your address, but if not I'll send you a PM to get it.
:thumbsup:
I will be more than happy to hit you up on shipping. And the Nehi and moon pie are on me. Maybe sneak a Nu Way chili dog in too.

-
Back