Transmission O/D advice needed

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok folks.....I have a 1975 Duster with a 360 with an 833 4-speed with a 3.91 gear. I want to put an overdrive in it for cruising purposes. I have purchased a 518(46RH) that came out of a 93 Dakota with a 318 in it. My question is, can I use the torque converter that came with it behind my LA 360? OR am I going to have to purchase a new Converter to go with it to make sure the balance on the engine does not get messed up.
TO BE HONEST: I am trying to decide which method would be best in the long run to put an overdrive setup in the car. Seems like about 4 or 5 options would be.....
1: The 518 and the cutting of the crossmember
2: Gear Vendor Unit
3: Passon Performance A-855 to get the 5th gear
4: A World Class T-5 transmission (also cuts the crossmember)
5: Find a Late 70's O/Drive 833 and lose a gear.

I"m not against any of the work but want to make sure the vehicle will be reliable when I'm done. I welcome all feedback and any other ideas folks have.

Go with the A body OD. SLAM DIRECT BOLT IN SWAP.

I agree with RRR. Get an 833 OD unit and see how you like it, they're pretty cheap from what I've seen. If you don't have a crazy cam, a 360 has enough torque to compensate for the wider ratios. If you don't like it, then you can always try something else later

If the converter has weights welded on it at the lug side, you're good to go. 360's are external balance, so the converter has to have the weights. Years back there was a weight and template package available from Mopar - that and a good Mig or Tig welder and you were good to go.

It’s already set up with a 4 speed?

I wouldn’t even consider any kind of automatic then.

As far as manual of transmissions go I guess it depends on how much ya want to spend.

Stock abody od trans would probably be cheapest. Bearing retainer is a larger dia then the regular 4 speed though. Either need the proper bell housing or open up your bell housing.

Passon 4 speed od

Or the passon 5 speed.

you may render 1st gear in an 833 OD unusable with those 3.91 gears

If money's no object-

1- Passon 5 speed

2- Gear Vendors

-
Back