Transmission questions

Magnum Engine Swaps

1. 71dusterdan

71dusterdan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:17 PM
    I have a complete 95 5.9fi motor and 518. I really want to keep the manual trans in my car. Is there a difference in bell housing size, ie. diameter between a 518, and a 143 tooth flywheel truck bell??? Why not just use the truck bell and flywheel, then make an adaptor for the 833, or other trans. So far in my reading, it seems everyone's hang up is with the bigger flywheel and bell. Can someone please help educate me as to why this isn't done? Thank you

2. ralphie361

ralphie361 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    What I ended up using in my dart was a truck 5 speed, it was for the v6 trucks the ax15. It has a removable bell housing so maybe you could use it with some mods. I'm not sure about older truck bells, but it your not afraid of minor tunnel mods it could work I would think.

3. 48jeep

48jeep Active Member

Local Time:
    10:17 AM
    Were their any problems with the AX15 holding up to the 5.7 hemi?

4. ralphie361

ralphie361 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    So far I haven't had any, but I got the car up and running this fall and have only 1500 miles or so. They have been hard miles for sure though! The reason I tried it is because my 95 Dakota was a v6 truck that I swapped a 5.9 into about seven years ago, 65k miles ago. It still shifts really nice, and I was very hard on it for most of those miles. The hemi has more torque to deal with, but Toyota supra guys have put a lot of power through them. I will probably find that it is the weak link if I put slicks on it and get good traction. Until then I'm going to enjoy a $200 junkyard overdrive!

5. oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    ...............U can bolt up the 5.9 no problem.....as long as u r gonna go carburation, if staying efi, its gonna be fun......u will need the proper balanced flywheel for the magnum......also need to use ur la dist......a 518 is an automatic over drive trans.......kim..........

6. sireland67

sireland67 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:17 PM
    You are joking right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.