Transmission to smallblock support brackets pictures needed

-

lee g

Reaction score
It's been too long since I have taken them off to remember how the support brackets mount from the transmission to the engine. Anyone have any pics? I have looked around on the internet and this forum and have ran across the pictures of the brackets but none with them mounted.

They both go on with the rounded side towards the engine, so take both under there with you and find out which one goes on with the correct angles to the block and bell because the angles on the ends are different between the two.
Pretty sure one is shorter than the other also, but I can't remember which side.
@lee g

The flatter end goes to the block and the more closed in end goes to the two biggest bolt holes toward the bottom of the bell that are not threaded.
That end uses a bolt and nut.
Also note that some headers do not allow one of the braces to go back on.
(Drivers side I'm thinking)

Last edited:
I believe the one on the passenger side has a curved radius stamped in it to clear the oil filter on that side.

Best I can do.

P1240035.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

There were two styles, flat angle and tubular. What year?

Whats the point of these....I take them off and usually never get them put back on....am I missing anything?

Whats the point of these....I take them off and usually never get them put back on....am I missing anything?

Lots did!

Guess that is why I see so many laying around. Not a SB guy but have a few for some reason. Guess they all got headers and were pulled for clearance.

Throw them in the trash. Run a balanced rotating assembly and save room.

I would think they are there to take stress off the bell housing. But agreed , once they come off they rarely get put back on.

Thanks for the pics. I don't know how much stress it will take off the bellhousing but I have them laying around in my left over parts bucket and I figured what the hell and throw them back on. Otherwise they go to the scrap yard at the end of the week.

There were two styles, flat angle and tubular. What year?
I've only seen the "flat angle" type. What years take the tubular? They are missing off my '65 273 Barracuda and I'd like to replace them.

I've only seen the "flat angle" type. What years take the tubular? They are missing off my '65 273 Barracuda and I'd like to replace them.

I sure do not know.

I would assume late stuff but only know I have a couple laying around. What they came off of is your guess.

I sure do not know.

I would assume late stuff but only know I have a couple laying around. What they came off of is your guess.

Do they look like this? I'm looking for these too.
1965-valiant-exhaust-manifold-brace-jpg.jpg

Pic stolen shamelessly from another thread.

Similar for sure but maybe longer. The bottom one is close.

Nope those aren't it. I found where they mounted. One of those "can't believe I missed that" moments. They are on. Not sure they will do much but can't see where it hurts anything or gets in the way. My motor and tranni are on roll around moving Dollys. Got to get the front of the car farther up in the air so I can roll the whole assembly underneath.

I would think they are there to take stress off the bell housing. But agreed , once they come off they rarely get put back on.
Agreed, they help attach the trans to the motor and take stress off of the case. I always use them. Just had mine powder coated and reinstalled. I think those brackets are very important. IMHO
They are what's attaching the engine to the bell housing below the crank centerline.

I always put them back on. They dont get in the way of anything that I have ever seen. Maybe a car with headers...its been over 20 years since I have had headers on any of my cars.
Not sure I have ever seen round ones. I know the angle bracket type was used as far back as 65, possibly later and up through late 70's.

One of my friends used to call those “left parts” for left out.....

IIRC the 65 exhaust hangers were not installed on all cars, like the LA plant didnt install them but the rusty MI market plants did? Maybe a legend.

-
Back