Tremec 5 Sp. Neutral Safety Sw.

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
Im running my Ron Francis wiring system and I have a Tremec 5 speed. The trans has a 2 wire safety switch on the tailshaft, My wiring diagram only shows 1 wire running from the starter relay to the safety switch. What do i do with the other wire? Still waiting on a call back from RF.

Why would a stick gearbox have a "neutral safety?" You sure it's not a reverse lamp switch?

Anyhow a neutral switch (auto) or clutch safety switch (stick) in a mopar goes ground---through switch--to one flag termianl of the start relay. The remaining flag terminal is the yellow "start" wire

Mopar neutral switches up through 68 or 9 had one terminal. After that they had three--middle terminal was neutral safety, outside 2 were for reverse lamps. In other words, 2 switches in one.

Why would a stick gearbox have a "neutral safety?" You sure it's not a reverse lamp switch?

Anyhow a neutral switch (auto) or clutch safety switch (stick) in a mopar goes ground---through switch--to one flag termianl of the start relay. The remaining flag terminal is the yellow "start" wire

Mopar neutral switches up through 68 or 9 had one terminal. After that they had three--middle terminal was neutral safety, outside 2 were for reverse lamps. In other words, 2 switches in one.
Yup, Tremec has a neutral switch and a separate reverse switch wire, Thanks for the info..

I have the same transmission. My transmission has to be in neutral before it will crank. The one wire hooked to the starter relay and the other wire is grounded.

This is what Ron Francis gives me for the wiring but it only shows the one wire for the switch

1F97C85E-9E9C-48A0-B453-A5B760774BFD.jpeg

That is what I tried to explain to you. The original Mopar automatic the neutral switch goes to ground when activated. So there IS only one wire.

Get an ohmeter, put the trans in neutral and see what the switch is doing. If it grounds you are done. If it closes 2 terminals, then you ground one and run the other as illustrated.

(What Francis depicted there is factory stock Mopar from about 69 newer)

That is what I tried to explain to you. The original Mopar automatic the neutral switch goes to ground when activated. So there IS only one wire.

Get an ohmeter, put the trans in neutral and see what the switch is doing. If it grounds you are done. If it closes 2 terminals, then you ground one and run the other as illustrated.

(What Francis depicted there is factory stock Mopar from about 69 newer)
Gotch ya...Thanks again...

LOLOL. Frankly, I don't see the need for this. In 2 different vehicles "way back then" a friend or I drove cars with a clutch problem by starting them in low gear and carefully shifting without the clutch.

One instance was WAY back in 68-69, going to Navy electronics A school at Treasure Island (San Francisco.) We had driven up to OR in his 65 Chevelle, with 67 Camaro 350/ 4 speed Muncie and he'd dicked up the clutch. Drove MOST of the way back from OR to the base with no clutch!!!

By the way I wish guys like you doing this stuff would post a good "build" thread with photos and details.

LOLOL. Frankly, I don't see the need for this. In 2 different vehicles "way back then" a friend or I drove cars with a clutch problem by starting them in low gear and carefully shifting without the clutch.

One instance was WAY back in 68-69, going to Navy electronics A school at Treasure Island (San Francisco.) We had driven up to OR in his 65 Chevelle, with 67 Camaro 350/ 4 speed Muncie and he'd dicked up the clutch. Drove MOST of the way back from OR to the base with no clutch!!!
Probably
By the way I wish guys like you doing this stuff would post a good "build" thread with photos and details.
if you go to “my garage “ i have alot of build pics

-
Back