Trick Flow small block heads

-
time fly's but I going to say around 5 years ago, maybe 6. It did have the wing in it and I did remove some of it but once again my major porting work it making more area at the short-side. I check air speeds and address an area to control it then move to another area. As soon as I pick up more CFM there I may have to move back to the short-side. You can see and hear turbulance if you know what you are looking for. I continue this till I see the numbers I want at the lift I need it at. .750 lift numbers although are important mid lift numbers are the main objective especially if only using a .625 gross lift cam.
I understand and appreciate the info,its always interesting to hear about things like this, just goes to show there are no absolutes with any company. Regarding the "wing" design itself It always raises the question, "why do it if there's no benefit?", I suspect they see it on the flow bench but whether they confirm it on the dyno as they say they do who knows. One thing I am certain of is the trick flows are way ahead of an edelbrock out of the box not only in flow but overall quality and I get tired of jacking around with parts, nice to have a bolt on deal.

Bolts are fine...they were good enough for the 426 Street Hemi...

I always like room to grow and only like to spend once so it would be studs for me. Especially since Trickflow heads have a specific small headed stud and 12 point nuts for that head because of clearance issues

I always like room to grow and only like to spend once so it would be studs for me. Especially since Trickflow heads have a specific small headed stud and 12 point nuts for that head because of clearance issues

Can't wait to see specifics of this head, such as them "small headed studs and 12 point nuts.

Can't wait to see specifics of this head, such as them "small headed studs and 12 point nuts.

I saw someone pictures of their heads here on this site and I noticed the lower row of head bolts had some tight clearances and asked him if the studs were small 12 point nuts. He checked and posted the next day that they were. The post is floating around here somewhere

Hmmm
My mind was going to the upper head bolts, and how if you get aggressive on the roof(porting a 340/360 stock head) you break threw into the head bolt some times. was thinking this was to help that.

Or maybe that's what the longer bolts/studs help with.

Hmmm
My mind was going to the upper head bolts, and how if you get aggressive on the roof(porting a 340/360 stock head) you break threw into the head bolt some times. was thinking this was to help that.

Or maybe that's what the longer bolts/studs help with.

It made me curious enough to finally cc an intake runner of a set of Edelbrock heads I ported years ago that have worked so well for me. My heads maxed out at 315-318 cfm with a 2.08 valve with a 192 cc runner. Thickflow advertises there’s as a 190 cc runner. Now did they leave enough meat to offer a 220-230 cc head down the road? My money is saying yes. Raise the roof some, push the rocker over some, and BINGO 330-340 cfm, maybe more with a 2.08 valve. Hmmmmm.

^^Gross..
Theses heads are out of my league $$ wise..
But it is cool to see what people are going to get out of them.
I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today!

It made me curious enough to finally cc an intake runner of a set of Edelbrock heads I ported years ago that have worked so well for me. My heads maxed out at 315-318 cfm with a 2.08 valve with a 192 cc runner. Thickflow advertises there’s as a 190 cc runner. Now did they leave enough meat to offer a 220-230 cc head down the road? My money is saying yes. Raise the roof some, push the rocker over some, and BINGO 330-340 cfm, maybe more with a 2.08 valve. Hmmmmm.

Did these edelbrock heads have the pushrods moved over with an offset inlet rocker or stock location?

Did these edelbrock heads have the pushrods moved over with an offset inlet rocker or stock location?

Everything was tubed and I took as much room as humanly possible without moving the rocker or pushrod hole. I have countless hours into this set of heads and many many flow tests. They ran 10.02 on my sons 3200 pound Duster and 9.70’s in my Duster on a worn out 408.

Everything was tubed and I took as much room as humanly possible without moving the rocker or pushrod hole. I have countless hours into this set of heads and many many flow tests. They ran 10.02 on my sons 3200 pound Duster and 9.70’s in my Duster on a worn out 408.

What fuel?

I understand and appreciate the info,its always interesting to hear about things like this, just goes to show there are no absolutes with any company. Regarding the "wing" design itself It always raises the question, "why do it if there's no benefit?", I suspect they see it on the flow bench but whether they confirm it on the dyno as they say they do who knows. One thing I am certain of is the trick flows are way ahead of an edelbrock out of the box not only in flow but overall quality and I get tired of jacking around with parts, nice to have a bolt on deal.
The burning question is did he show??..

Did you have the time to go check them out.
I thought j par was buying you lunch. lol I wouldn't make him work to hard

Yes, I did check them out. We had a great bench racing session and I also had a look at a very cool 72 Dart that lead69 is putting together with his son.

Should be done (he says) by the end of June. I'm looking forward to seeing that thing run.

and....…… whatcha think
Yes, I did check them out. We had a great bench racing session and I also had a look at a very cool 72 Dart that lead69 is putting together with his son.

Should be done (he says) by the end of June. I'm looking forward to seeing that thing run.

and....…… whatcha think

Well, I was quite surprised. The TF castings are certainly second to none. They are beautiful castings. The machine work was also top notch. No sharp edges. Everything finished like it should be. What was nice was the quality of the parts that came with the heads. The PAC springs are very nice pieces. The valves have a TF part number on them. I don't know who makes them, but they are very nice and the finish on the valves is the way I like them...a sharp cut on the top on the intake and a nice radius on the top of the exhaust valve. You don't see that kind of finish work very often.

I have to say that is the BEST CNC work I've seen on a production head. I really don't get excited about the finish on many places, but the short turn finish is a big deal. On the TF heads, the short turns are so nice I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason to paper roll them. Usually, there are two, maybe three flat spots on the short turn. There were NONE on either the intake or the exhaust.

In the intake bowls, they use what appears to be a modified version of how TF used to "layer" flow around the bowl. If I was going to use a 45* seat I wouldn't touch the bowls. I'd leave them as is. This bowl is nothing like some of the earlier TF bowls that has way too much negative bias in them. Also, unlike Edelbrock, TF left materiel around the back side of the guide and also left materiel in front of the guide to help direct airflow around the valve. I hate the Edelbrock does it. They just have the guide flapping out there in the breeze. The air around the guide needs to be controlled and the Edelbrock fails there.

The two valves we had out had guides that were butter smooth. I would personally check them all, but if they check like those you can run them as is. That also, is unusual.

Personally, I think the biggest improvement is the exhaust port. They use a 1.57 valve. That's plenty big. A 1.60 would be a waste. They raised the floor to eliminate that crap design Chrysler used. And Edelbrock didn't fix it either. They are a small, well shaped port with a very very VERY nice short turn. To me, of all the things TF did that is worth the effort. The exhaust port on the SBM is just to freaking big. On top of that, it's a piss poor design. TF corrected that, in a big way. TF also used the guide boss to bias flow out of the port from the center of the chamber. Most heads don't come like that, and it's a PITA to grind that into them. Kudos to TF for paying attention to details.

Of course, the chambers were nicely finished, and even though I have a fetch for paper rolling things, I can't think of a reason to paper roll the chamber either. They are that nice.

All in all, I couldn't find a single thing to ***** about. Not even something to poo-poo about. They are the closest thing to a head you can run out of the box I've ever seen.

Obviously, I'd verify all the guides were like the ones we looked at. If the are, go for it. The parts are quality pieces so they aren't the issue. You can essentially run them OOTB and not look back.

TF did a good thing with these heads. They covered probably 95% of the SBM market. There is no reason why you can't tube the pushrod tunnels and use and offset rocker and pick up some flow. But how many guys want to buy rockers like that? So TF has the market pretty well thought out.

If I was going to use them, I'd spend some time on the flow bench and I'd play with 50* seats. I think that would be the next step up for them. You may have to reduce some of the intake port bias to make that work, but that just requires time and testing.

I can't wait for the TF intake to be released. If it's as good as these heads, it'll be worth every penny they want to charge.

Special thanks to lead69 for letting me stop by and finger fondle his virgin heads. I certainly molested them real good to see what they are all about.

And, like I said, we had a great bench racing session as well. All in all a great visit.

And a damn nice set of heads. TF did the SBM guys a solid.

-
Back