tricks to put on deck lid

-

sorewrist1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just took off my trunk lid to make it easier to work on the torsion springs.
is there a trick to putting them back on, and adjusting the lid?

Well on a 65 mustang ...

What car?
What year?
What body style.?

Alway good to mark around the fastener bolt washers with a pencil or ink pen so you know exactly where to put it back on.

Having 2 other people helps to hold things steady while getting the bolts in.

Put a heavy drop cloth at the lower rear window and adjacent body panel to protect them.

Broom stick at the lid latch area helps when short handed.

If the front (of the car) edge of the trunk lid high. Open the trunk farther before tightening the hinge bolts.

As for tortion bars, before the lid is on open the hinges all the way insert one side and you should be able to put it into one of the adjustment slots don't get hung up on which one but if you can get it in the center slot that's a good place to start.

A short piece of dowel will help move the adjustment end of the bars

Torsion bars, there is a left and right, it also makes a difference if the left or the right side are in front of one or another. Look at the "X" where the bars cross each other in the center, is the left in front or is it the right? The amount of bar torsion on either side will effect adjustment. Do not be surprised to have one side or the other on different notches. I adjusted my torsion springs just enought to hold itself, not to spring open. I made adjustments using a monkey wrench, torsion spring nothches.

Had to weld a half washer to the torsion rod mount. Had to take the trunk lid off to crawl in the trunk. Now both hinges work good. Put the lid on and I'm done. Thanks all for the help. Sure helps having guys around that did this before

My 67 dart convertible metal fatigued and eroded the points of contact for the tortion bar rod on the hinge supports. I took the lid off and had a welder put it all back together.

I was even trying to see if there would be a way to make a plate that would weld to the back side but that did not work out.

I got the lid back on and aligned and now it stayed up fine

I was lucky to get the two supports from a member here parting a couple dart convertibles, clean as a whistle, if the car ever gets a rotissory restore I'll have them put on.

I also had the pivot holes on the tubular hinge where it mates to the pivot post reinforced with some tubing.

-
Back