Truck intake to Car Intake

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure what's needed to go from a truck 5.7L intake to a car 5.7L intake?

The truck intake's are not visually appealing compaired to the car intakes. I have a 2005 Ram motor complete and I've like to swap out the intake on mine to a car intake.

I've found a complete intake, rails, tb, etc etc for a decent price.

I've been reading that the front cover might need to be replaced? The accessories might also need to be replaced? Anyone know for sure?

Riddler

Alright my friend, I will help you out and it wont cost ya dime! I agree with you on the truck intake being REAL ugly. What I did was get a car intake, 86 the truck intake, move the alt. and ac compressor outward. Now here is where it gets interesting, the car intake has to come up 1 1/2 inches to clear the truck timing cover. Since we have cnc machines at work, my buddy made a program and carved some spacers out of billet aluminum, bingo, it fits just perfect and best of all the runner length increased (more torque) and the volume increased (more hp).

Now you have to fab a new alt. mount and ac mount, but that should be easy. Check out me thread at fbbo late model hemi into early b bodys, you'll find alot of questions you will have answered.

Does anyone know for sure what's needed to go from a truck 5.7L intake to a car 5.7L intake?

The truck intake's are not visually appealing compaired to the car intakes. I have a 2005 Ram motor complete and I've like to swap out the intake on mine to a car intake.

I've found a complete intake, rails, tb, etc etc for a decent price.

I've been reading that the front cover might need to be replaced? The accessories might also need to be replaced? Anyone know for sure?

Riddler

If you contact Ruster (Stu 512-647-7724), he has done it and has extra pieces to do it again. I bet he will let them go for the right price. I saw them recently.

It's Ruster on another forum. I see I misspelled my name on this one:) People will be thinking I'm driving a Subaru. The 5.7 car manifold still requires about 1/4 to 3/8 of spacer after the bracket kit and machined timing cover is installed as that was designed for the 6.1 intake and the 5.7 intake is a little lower. with some of the spacers it works though.

If this site would upload my pics, you would see what I did to get the car intake on the truck engine, but since I cant, here's the best explanation.

1. 1.5 inch billet aluminum
2. cnc the port openings, oil fill passages (1 for each spacer), o'ring grooves and bolt holes
3. this puts the bottom of the tb about a 1/4 inch above the truck timing cover
4. 1 inch curved flat stock (cresent shaped if you will) long enough to hit the factory bolt holes for the alt, then drill said pieces so the factory bolts will go through the mounting point on the timing cover, tack weld some tubing between the curved flat stock for support and to tie them together
4. put factory alt. on top of "new bracket" mark the location of the mounting holes on new bracket
5. make tabs for alt. mounting holes, drill tne new tabs, put bolt thru tholes on alt. and tabs
6. place alt. on new bracket where you marked earlier, check to make sure your not too close to the tb
7. tack the tabs in place
8. undo the alt. bolts, take off alt.
9. burn everything together, moving around so you dont build up too much heat in one area
10. place alt. back on new bracket, bolt it down
11. damn, you're done

Now for the ac compressor
1. slide compressor over to the right (as you face the front of the engine) so you catch the mounting holes on the cover
2. put 1 bolt thru thr cover and compressor mounting hole to hold it in place
3. get a piece of 3/8 id tubing or just slightly larger for the second bolt to go thru, cut said tubing to fit inbetween the compressor mounting holes, put the bolt thru the compressor and tubing, tighten the bolt
4. a metric heim joint is needed for the next bolt that will bolt into the block down by the steering pump, get a solid rod and screw the heim joint onto the rod and figure out how much rod it will take to meet the 3/8 tubing, cut and tack the 2 pieces together
5. cut, chew, grind, saw, eat, melt off. the tabe on the back of the compressor, it is no longer needed and will hit the valve cover if not removed
6. now that you got all this done, it time for the easy work
7. depending on how far up and over you moved the alt. and how low you got the compressor so sit, the belt may be too small, or too long, play around with it and see what you come up with
8. the tensioner has 3 markings, 2 on the fixed side and 1 on the moving side, get the 1 on the moving side as close to the right as possible, this will keep tension on the belt so you wont have any squeal'n

9. it took me 3 different size belts to get it right and it is PERFECT
10. one last thing, get a angle finder and put it on the pulleys, you want 90 degrees, this helps with belt life and the squealin
11. if you need to see pics, go to fbbo and look at late model hemi into early b bodies

Hope this will help someone who doesn't like the truck intake.

Just an FYI - I'm swapping the entire motor over to a car motor. I'm changing out the front cover and accessories as well.

I have the truck stuff if anyone wants to buy it. :)

Riddler

Those are so expensive---start to market one of your kidneys now and then you might have enough to get one.

This is what it looks like.

PDR_1439.jpg

With that bracket, hood clearence has to be an issue on a muscle car.

Ok., ever since I saw the bracket you posted, it has been driving me crazy with how come it is so huge? Would it not be more EYE pleasing if it were smaller? I'm not getting on your case or degrading it, just curious.

The bracket is that size because about the only things you can do with the AC and alternator is move them out so they are out of the way of the intake. They can't go down any more as they will hit the valve covers. I haven't tried this settup in a car. I think it would fit because it's lower than the intake but I haven't tested it in a older car because I developed it initially for Ram trucks thats why it is used with all the truck accessories. Although, that is a photo of a prototype I did way back I think the production units have the Alt sitting about an inch lower. I adjusted it down as much as it would go though. I also moved it slightly so the stock truck belt could be used.

-
Back