Truck muffler and tail pipe $1800!

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

My friend has a 64 GMC pickup with a 292 in it. I found a header for him and the price for just the pipe muffler and install was $1800 and that's not including the price of the header. I can only imagine how much it will be for my car..$3600? I think I'll do the same thing that I see on a lot of cars, mufflers with little turn downs right under the car. Timeline 26:30 for pipes

26: 30

Last edited:
I have a buddy in Vancouver who just had a complete exhaust put on his 1974 GMC pickup by a popular chain store muffler shop. He has factory manifolds, and they did a complete dual exhaust (no x-pipe) with mufflers for under 750 bucks, with a lifetime warranty. Your buddy is getting hosed.

As PT Barnum would say there's a sucker born every minute.

I have a buddy in Vancouver who just had a complete exhaust put on his 1974 GMC pickup by a popular chain store muffler shop. He has factory manifolds, and they did a complete dual exhaust (no x-pipe) with mufflers for under 750 bucks, with a lifetime warranty. Your buddy is getting hosed.
I think you're right Garry. Back about fifteen years ago it only cost me $200 to get what my friend payed $1800 for. Prices couldn't have gone up that much

If it's all mandrel-bent stainless steel, and it's a work of art, it may not be a bad price. Who knows? Maybe he's building something that will appear in Rodder's Journal?

Last edited:
Wow!
I hope he got at least a kiss if he was getting screwed that badly.
What a rip off!

A local shop wanted 460 to bend up and install two tail pipes and pair of SS tips using the dual out muffler already there. That's using 2-1/2 "aluminized" steel tube. :eek:
Summit sells that very same muffler, tail pipes, and SS tips in a "U install it" kit for 390.
Using the "GOYA" principle, I bought 14 ga. mandrel bent "aluminized" tubes and SS tips off goldbay. While telling myself "I'm getting too old for this …...", I installed it for almost 200.

I did a header back install on my old truck, and bought Jegs kit.
It ran about $250 for duels.

On the same truck for example a buddy bent up a single exhaust for it, including making a "Y" pipe for $225.

So I guess the shop does not want to do the job if it entails putting the header on the 292.

-
Back