True definition of "Godsend"

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Several months ago, we bought a new homeowner's insurance policy for our house. A buddy of mine has his own agency, and gave us a pretty good deal. Fast forward a month, and we get a letter from said insurance company saying that our roof doesn't meet their standards. The back half of our house is a low slope roof, and therefore doesn't use traditional shingles. It instead had a rolled asphalt surface, and it was peeling up. It looked like hell, and it leaked to boot. According to the letter, they were going to cancel our policy unless we had the back half of the roof replaced. We did the usual mad dash of estimates, and it seemed like each one was pricier than the last. We really didn't know what we were going to do, cause we couldn't afford any of them. I had actually talked to my sister about a loan, but I really didn't want to go that route.

Then, I get ANOTHER letter in the mail. This one is from the city we live in. It says that we have been drawn in a raffle for a home renovation project, and that the city was going to replace our roof for us! I had completely forgotten that I had entered this raffle over a year previously. As long as we met certain criteria, they would cover the complete cost of replacing our roof. The coordinator of the program even spoke to our insurance company, and got them to issue a modified policy that covered everything except any losses associated with the crappy roof.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we got our roof this past weekend, and I have to admit it looks great! We went with blue shingles, just because they're not common. The contractor also put a rubber roof on the low slope part in the back. Talk about a HUGE load off our shoulders! Getting that letter from the city so we can get our roof replaced, keep our insurance, and stop the leaks EXACTLY WHEN WE NEEDED IT was an absolute MIRACLE! You can't tell me someone isn't upstairs watching over us all! My buddy the insurance agent is supposed to be back out this week sometime to take some photos and get our full policy reinstated. Now we should qualify for some nice discounts, too!

Before09-16A.jpg

This is the old roof, taken from the back. You can see how the rolled roof was peeling up.

Before09-16B.jpg

Another shot of the back.

Finished02-17A.jpg

Finished roof!

Finished02-17B.jpg

I was concerned about all the ripples and waves in the rubber roof surface, but the contractor told me that those will disappear once the sun has warmed the roof up enough.

Finished02-17D.jpg

New roof from the front of the house. Sorry about the lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Roof looks great.
Let us never get so focused on lifes hard knocks that we can longer recall the many blessings received. Amen

almost unbelievable. never had anything like that happen to me, always had to work for it. You had better be careful of getting on the rubber part of the roof, make sure no nails or screws stuck in you boots.

Modified bitumen.
The only way to go on a flat roof.
Was it touched or cold adhesive?
I've used cold.
NEVER put Lowes Depot cheap asphalt rolled roofing on.
It expands and contracts and bunches up.
And that's just for starts.

There are no coincidences.
Some is looking out for you, I think.

congrats,always nice to hear a story like this,,,,,,yes he is looking out for you.......................................jeff

What a refreshing and uplifting story!
Good for you guys!
Make sure you pass the Karma on..........

That's great man. I am really glad for yall!

Good to hear someone got something when they needed it. Usually someone's always kicking you when your down. You must have had some good karma due!

Modified bitumen.
The only way to go on a flat roof.
Was it touched or cold adhesive?
I've used cold.
NEVER put Lowes Depot cheap asphalt rolled roofing on.
It expands and contracts and bunches up.
And that's just for starts.

There are no coincidences.
Some is looking out for you, I think.
I'm pretty sure it was cold adhesive. As far as the old roof, I'd be willing to bet that the last time it was done they used Lowe's rolled roof, cause it bunched up and didn't last long before it was leaking again. It was last done back in 2006 after an ice storm.

As far as karma goes, we are firm believers in paying forward what we get. Somehow, sometime soon, I have a lot to pay forward. I just hope I know it when I see it!

-
Back