true one wire alternater

-

SBDart

Reaction score
I am looking for a true one wire alternater. so many out there which one does a guy buy?
all I what to do is keep the battery charged

I bought a chrome tuff stuff one....I like it and it looks great.....they make unchromed ones too for cheaper price.....they have 60 amp, 100 amp, 130 amp etc.etc.....also have single or double groove pulley.....just search summit and put this in the search box tuff stuff mopar alternator

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-8509rbsp

I thought about going one wire since I'm rewiring the whole car anyways.
But decided to stay with stock alternator and regulator since it really simple circuit and can get replacement parts anywhere. Which is a big thing for me since my car is gonna be a driver.

That's a good idea. When a 1 wire alternator goes it's more costly to replace. Usually the only that goes bad on mopars are the regulators and there only $25 bucks. I had a 75 plymouth with the 100 amp alt. and the brushes had to be replaced at 120,000 miles and only cost me a $1.00 to buy new ones.

The only difference between a multi wire and a "one wire" is the regulator.

But not a stocked alternator at least up here in Can A Duh lol. And from what I read not the best circuit why Chev stop using it.

But not a stocked alternator at least up here in Can A Duh lol. And from what I read not the best circuit why Chev stop using it.

Chevy never used a one wire so far as I know, on production cars and light trucks. They are generally used on equipment, and some large trucks
Generally I'm against "one wire" for several reasons...........

They are make things more difficult in the case of an NHRA style disconnect

The sensing point is AT the alternator, which means you MUST use MUCH larger wire for the battery charging lead

This also means that as load increases, the sensing STAYS the same voltage at the alternator while the LOAD voltage at the other end can fluctuate quite a bit, that is the voltage drops with increasing load.

Some designs require quite a bit of RPM to excite, which can be a problem in drag race installations with lesser alternator RPM (pulley size)

The ONLY advantage (?) I see to a "one wire" is

The are 1 or 2 wires "easier to connect" and they "may" result in a "one less wire" cleaner look

Yes, the tuff stuff alternator I bought requires 1500 RPM to turn on and "excite" as Del said which actually means to start charging but once it hits that RPM it stays charging no matter what RPM you are at....It can go down to 6 or 7 hundred and still charges.....It is just from initial start up.....And my carb goes to high idle when first start which is above 1500 RPM so mine charges on initial startup anyway

Last edited:
Why not go the denso route? Charges 14.3 at low idle

Why not go the denso route? Charges 14.3 at low idle
they all put out around 14.3 volts.....even at idle.....It is only on initial startup that RPM must come above 1500 then you are good until you shut the car off again

they all put out around 14.3 volts.....even at idle.....It is only on initial startup that RPM must come above 1500 then you are good until you shut the car off again
----------------------------------------this, I like mine.

Regulator on my 80 is now 37 years old, figure 2 alternators by now, maybe 3. 470,000 kilometers on it and i have little trouble with charging system. I find 1 wire problematic,let someone else use it and you are finding them to give it a boost.

Regulator on my 80 is now 37 years old, figure 2 alternators by now, maybe 3. 470,000 kilometers on it and i have little trouble with charging system. I find 1 wire problematic,let someone else use it and you are finding them to give it a boost.
not arguing against mopar stuff. Mine is a 130 amp, 1 wire, that I had built by an elec shop in Kansas. I run an msd set up, elec booster fan and fuel inj., on a completely rewired 49 yr 0ld fastback. I didn`t want 50 yr old design anything on it , and don`t like carrying spare voltage reg. and crap like that. Mine will never see the mileage ur talking about, but, urs will never run like mine will .

I didn`t want 50 yr old design anything on it , and don`t like carrying spare voltage reg. and crap like that. Mine will never see the mileage ur talking about, but, urs will never run like mine will .

???
No offense, but if you don't like 50 year old design, why are you driving a 50 year old car? The two kind of go hand in hand. The VR in my '67 appears to be the original. I keep a spare ballast in the car, but that's about it.
It's not like you have a VW bug or something where you need to carry a set of tools, coveralls and a box full of spare parts with you all the time.

All,

I am using a Powermaster 100 amp One Wire. Works Great. Got it from Summit. I have 2 Spal Fans, FiTech FI sys, GM HEI, usual electrics also. No issues.

Marion

-
Back