Trunion drive shaft?

-

moper

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for parts to rebuild the trunion on the front of the early driveshafts? My '65 has a torn boot and I figured I'd see if I can get any parts for it.

I believe I've seen rebuild kits on E-Bay. Jayson

This is the first I've ever dealt with them... So I'll hunt around. thanks guys!

search this site(ball & trunion) then ask SSdan (he keeps info on file somehow),
this has been discussed & there are vendors that have the correct parts-- but I cannot recall the names. Lawrence

Are you sure that it needs rebuilding? They seem to last forever unless they go dry. Maybe just a new boot setup. I've heard of folks using snap together CV joint boots but I dont know which ones.

Are you sure that it needs rebuilding? They seem to last forever unless dry. Maybe just a boot replacement? Seems that some folks have used snap together CV toint boots, but I can't remember which ones.

It's mechanically fine. I've always said "if grease is still coming out, it's fine" in regard to CV joints and sealed boots. This has plenty of clean grease in it and is tight. But, the boot's shot. I figure if I'm going to disassemble it for the boot, I'll replace the wear items so I know it's 100%. It's more than it needs, but I have issues with things that aren't "just so".

My boot flung apart going down the interstate on my '57 Plymouth...the boot smacked the floor soo hard I thought something BAD happened. I got a CV boot from an autoparts store that matched the diameter of the original boot.

That lasted a few more months until my car started vibrating badly...the T part of the ball and trunnion shaft busted through the housing! So for about $100 I had a new slip yoke type driveshaft made from my original driveshaft.

Heres a good article on this type of swap: http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

The "NOS" boots aren't worth the effort...they will usually tear apart trying to get them on since they are soo old.

I had a driveshaft made like this one in the article 9 years ago and it has held up to my 11.50 second car. Still running strong. Jayson

My boot flung apart going down the interstate on my '57 Plymouth...the boot smacked the floor soo hard I thought something BAD happened. I got a CV boot from an autoparts store that matched the diameter of the original boot.

That lasted a few more months until my car started vibrating badly...the T part of the ball and trunnion shaft busted through the housing! So for about $100 I had a new slip yoke type driveshaft made from my original driveshaft.

Heres a good article on this type of swap: http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

The "NOS" boots aren't worth the effort...they will usually tear apart trying to get them on since they are soo old.

If I remember correctly, I think I got some NOS ones from Frank Mitchell in Georgia a few years ago. They were nice and pliable and I had no issues installing them. He sells on E-bay so you may be able to contact him to see if he has more for sale.

Thanks guys. In all likelihood the driveline will be changed next year some time and at that point I'll replace the driveshaft with the type from the article. Thanks a lot!

-
Back