trunk dividers 1965 vs 1964 valiant / barracuda

-

Ed Ruhl

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda with some 64 parts...

Putting it together I found 2 wood trunk dividers, one that is symmetric and one has a longer end (maybe to cover the wheel well for some reason).

Has anyone else ran into this and which is the is correct one for a 65?

Thanks
Ed

This is the divider for a 1965 Barracuda, and as far as I know it is the same for the 64 and the 66, if not someone will correct me.
Norm

trunk divider.jpg

Ya, that continues to be a mystery for early Barracudas. I don't think anyone has figured out any rhyme or reason for which cars got the divider with the extension and which cars got the short version.

Yea mine only has the divider board with no extensions. Does anyone have pics of the additional pieces?

Thanks, Tim

One of the cars I parted years ago was a 65 and had the longer one. It also had rear window defrost. That may be why.

I sold the longer extension one to a member here, it was from a 64. Don’t know if that means anything, but the metal trim piece for the extension is very hard to find, I do know that.

pics! The 65 could have had the optional "S" divider with the routed out fatter spare tire clearance scallop. Where did this extension go? Most likely on the right side as the jack was on the left. Ohh ****, I think I found one! see extended panel toward passenger side? Also note trunk prop rod. Debate on why Chrysler went to springer prop instead of ratchet, maybe to reduce warranty claims of bent trunks! My springer was a April 1 '65 build L.A. plant. Wow, this example is clean minus the tacky shackles!
64barracuda33-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Three with extensions. My two 64 Barracudas and my buddies "someday" 65 Barracuda project.
The 65 has the ratchet prop rod by the way....

Cuda 64 trunk div 1.jpg

Cuda 64 trunk div 2.jpg

Cuda65 trunk div.jpg

^^^ good question. That would force the defrost blower to recycle warmer cabin directed air instead of cold trunk air. I kinda like that option, less area for stuff to collect in rolling around in the trunk. Also makes a nice stash area. :)

I have a 65 barracuda with some 64 parts...

Putting it together I found 2 wood trunk dividers

Has anyone else ran into this and which is the is correct one for a 65?
Ed

This is what my 65 "S" had (originally)... but when I redid the trunk divider flap I made it like a 64 parts car I once had with the extention over the passenger side rear wheel well, and as Pishta said "it Also makes a nice STASH area " (I like that & hide things back there when I do Open Trunk Lid type shows) and since I had the trim anyways... and yes, I also made it with the Fomula S fatter spare tire clearance scallop! I could always cut the extention off later if I decided I did not want it...
hotdog1.jpg
View attachment 1715743839

Last edited:
-
Back