Trunk Floor Install Question

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Installing a new AMD trunk floor this weekend in the 67 Dart and was wondering if anyone had any tips to make the job go as smooth as possible?
I know there is a ton of knowledge out there and as a body work novice I would like to hear any suggestions.
Thanks!

0CF62595-8539-4B9C-813E-F9F08960E4B8.jpeg
Is it a full trunk floor? The one thing I would think about first off is, will it even fit into the trunk as one piece? When I did my super bee I had the tail panel removed for replacement so it was easy to slide the new trunk floor in. Biggest thing I would say is take your time get all the spot welds drilled out and cleaned up and prepare the surface for the new trunk floor to go in. Once you have it laid in their check, check, check and doublecheck that everything is lined up in correct. If you notice other areas that are rusted out or heavily rusted or damaged make sure you fix those as well. Use self tapping screws or Cleco clamps to hold the trunk floor in while welding it to make sure that it’s completely sucked down to the rails.

Don't waste your time drilling the spot welds on a panel you're throwing away... A thick cut off wheel or belt sander will make it ten times faster.

Also clean out the rear frame rails and coat with a rust inhibitor. Use a copper weld through primer as well.

Also the AMD pan does not have the correct opening for a 67 fuel filler tube. Look hard as you may want the graft in a section of the original, If it matters! Otherwise plan on getting a 70 up filler to trunk pan gasket.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
View attachment 1715457697 Is it a full trunk floor? The one thing I would think about first off is, will it even fit into the trunk as one piece? When I did my super bee I had the tail panel removed for replacement so it was easy to slide the new trunk floor in. Biggest thing I would say is take your time get all the spot welds drilled out and cleaned up and prepare the surface for the new trunk floor to go in. Once you have it laid in their check, check, check and doublecheck that everything is lined up in correct. If you notice other areas that are rusted out or heavily rusted or damaged make sure you fix those as well. Use self tapping screws or Cleco clamps to hold the trunk floor in while welding it to make sure that it’s completely sucked down to the rails.
Yep, it's the full floor plus the two extensions. I think the screws are a good idea. I already have the old floor out so thankfully that's done. I do have an issue with some tearing of the wheel wells along the weld line when the old floor was taken out. Not sure how to fix that and I obviously need to reattach the new floor along there..

Can’t help to much with the wheel tub intersection, but you can see your rectangular opening for the filler. The AMD pan is the later oblong version. On a Dart this may not be an issue but on a Fastback Barracuda it is as it interferes with the rear hatch panel lower attachment brace for clearance.

-
Back