Trunk hardware

-

Mike 340

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the order of the hook and base plate and tire orientation for a 67 dart.
I have the jack and tire iron on the right side with the correct spring.
Mike.

Photos show tire upside down, then hook than base.
20190619_190102.jpg

I prefer, tire upside down, base with rounded section down, hook.

I recall a photo in the glovebox user manual.

20190619_190102.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have the instructional sticker inside the deck lid?

If so, it is outlined there.

if not, you may be able to 'google' one to check the details or perhaps someone here with a '67 Dart can photograph theirs for you.

Thank you for the diagrams!!!
How do I save it for a file?

PC... right click on image, save as...
Android.... Pressa hold on image till popup window asked to do things, one is download image.
Apple (probably like android) but since I have a brain I dont need the phone to be so "easy" to use that I can't figure out how to use it.

Mine is a GT?
I still have the fiber board.
I see why this stuff is missing!
Such a pain in the *** to reassemble!

Last edited:
Matt,
That link was interesting. I dont remember ever seeing the dished retainer and wing nut in the trunk of my Dart. I found one on FABO and it fit really well with my narrow spare. I have the original carrage bolt and large wing nut, but i used the one that came with the dished retainer so i dont know if they are the same length. It was interesting to see the barracuda owners manual show the dished retainer and small wing nut AND the larger wing nut under it. My car is a 67 Dart GT Convertible

Be nice to some more original photos and better survivors.
Mine was missing the large wing nut, has damaged threads on the carriage bolt, missing the correct spring and shows no sign of the jack instructions in the trunk. But except for the trunk mat, all the rest including the owner's manual is original! Well not quite - the tire isn't either. Not even the correct size.

Lets put this illustration from the '67 Barracuda Owner's booklet directly in here for ref.
upload_2019-6-21_7-13-43.png

and note that the Barracuda (at least mine) came with an integral hook on the jack. That is,the jack face attaches directly to the bumper.
upload_2019-6-21_7-18-29.png

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Chrysler used relatively generic line art for some of their literature.

damaged threads on the carriage bolt,
Do you need one?

If my old one is the same as the one i recently bought ill send you the purchased one. It is in ok shape. The head got a bit rusted at some point, it is clean but looks like a dog chewed on it but fully functional

Be nice to some more original photos and better survivors.
Mine was missing the large wing nut, has damaged threads on the carriage bolt, missing the correct spring and shows no sign of the jack instructions in the trunk. But except for the trunk mat, all the rest including the owner's manual is original! Well not quite - the tire isn't either. Not even the correct size.

Lets put this illustration from the '67 Barracuda Owner's booklet directly in here for ref.
View attachment 1715353002
and note that the Barracuda (at least mine) came with an integral hook on the jack. That is,the jack face attaches directly to the bumper.
View attachment 1715353004
Agree Mattax, here is a pic of a 1970 dart tv commercial comparing a 340 against a Nova, now I am interested in fixing the trunk but I noticed my spare tire is a diagonal from the 70's 7.35 S 14 and it is too large to fit leveled in the trunk compartment... can you tell what kind of tire do you have that will fit there and allow the flat cover to fit flat in the trunk? It's gotta be a pretty thin tire I guess...

20190627_142541.jpg

can you tell what kind of tire do you have that will fit there and allow the flat cover to fit flat in the trunk? It's gotta be a pretty thin tire I guess...
Don't know what they used for that commercial.
The one in my car is an E78-14, and the biggest offered new in '67 was D78. Later E70 was offered but not sure how the sidewall to to sidewall width differed, if at all. The E78 sits a little higher than the floor.

There were only two tire sizes for '67 Barracuda 6.95, and D70.
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1967 Plymouth Salesman's Pocket Guide

A 6.95-14 has 7" section width and about 25.5" diameter. (when on a 5" rim)*
A D70-14 was 7.85" section width and also around 25.5" dia depending on tread.**
The E78-14 currently in my Barrcuda's tire well has a section width of 7.65 if it was mounted on a 51/2 J or JJ rim (which its not).
But its probably safe to conclude even the D70-14 tires never sat flush to the floor pan in this car. My car prob came with the 6.95, I'd have to check the build sheet, and those probably do sit flush. A C78 or a D78 would be pretty close and choice would depend on load range needed.

* Barry's Tire Tech
**Barry's Tire Tech

Last edited:
Don't know what they used for that commercial.
The one in my car is an E78-14, and the biggest offered new in '67 was D78. Later E70 was offered but not sure how the sidewall to to sidewall width differed, if at all. The E78 sits a little higher than the floor.
Thanks people for all the info. IMHO, fact is, whatever tire size that could fit there fush to the trunk floor would not make justice to a car like that and would be good just as a spare but once my spare tire is nearly 30 yo, it'd be a good idea buying a new mickey mouse spare and try to make the trunk look stock again cutting a new board for the spare tire. My jack also got a broken spring just for sitting there so long...

Well that's a very unfair conclusion (mickey mouse) about tires based on its dimensional size. But people do that all that time. yes 30 years is a long time for a tire but its condition depends on environmental factors and their impact on the materials.
1975 Operators manual shows the same tire sizes were still being offered, as well as optional E load range tires.
The problem when converting to p-metric radials is the construction results in a different dimensions.
For example P185R14 has a section width of 7.2" and static diameter under 25". Load rating is fine for normal use.
P195/75r14 is a common replacement - probably the one they will suggest at the typical tire center if you pulled in with an D78 and told 'em you wanted a set of new tires. That's 7.7" section width and 25.5" diameter (summer tire). That's about 1/2" taller in the trunk than the bias ply but closer in diameter. (Probably closer in rolling radius too but that's another ball of wax way off topic here).

IIRC 6" is the widest a tire can be and sit flush in the trunk well. As to tire diameter and load range... if you have a limited slip diff you need to make sure spare is same dia as tire on other wheel, OR do a two tire spare swap, IE if you get a flat on the back move a front tire to the back and put spare on front

Relative to this thread the importance of the tire section width is the length of the hold down rod if it was to be used in conjunction with the small cupped washer and wing nut for the board.

E78-14
upload_2019-7-2_15-36-30.png

upload_2019-7-2_15-37-28.png

It's 7 from the bolt mount to the level when the level is sitting flat. Add 1/4" for the bolt mount to the well floor.
So, any tire over 5.75" section will sit proud in this well. Dana figures 6". In either case the factory tires could not have sat flush. Either there well was made deeper by '70 or they used a small tire for the filming so it had more visual appeal.

I was thinking 13" might be narrow enough.
My OE trunk mat has cracks all around where the wood panel had lifted the mat off the floor.

My setup to get flush:
20190702_181549.jpg
20190702_181920.jpg
20190702_182016.jpg
20190702_182141.jpg

Last photo doesnt show measurement correctly, 6.25"

-
Back