Trunk Lock Idea

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Building 72 duster drag car. I'm keeping the steel deck lid and would like to maintain the stock latch setup instead of doing 4 posts with pins to hold the trunk onto the car. Car will be started with a starter box so I really don't want to use a key to open the trunk every time to get to the fuel cell.

Has anyone here built a switch or a button that can be used with the factory trunk latch to open the decklid? Thanks

I don't remember what was used, but there exists an electric trunk remote release that can be made to work with these cars. So one way would be (I assume you don't want the trunk ALWAYS accessible to anyone)----one way would be to put a toggle inside the trunk, and run that switched power to a push button outside. That way the button could be disabled when away from the track.

s-l300.jpg

Or why not just put welder style cable connectors accessible outside, why else you need into the trunk?

There's a Chrysler electric latch that will bolt right in place. I have one on my 64. Just need to run a button switch & a hot wire. If need be I can get the part # from it tomorrow.

Thanks guys I think I am going to go with both ideas. I'll use the electric for outside and the manual cable for inside the car in case there is an electrical issue. I think the dart in the junkyard near me still has a rod on the dash for the hood. I'll use it for the trunk. Thanks again!

Building 72 duster drag car. I'm keeping the steel deck lid and would like to maintain the stock latch setup instead of doing 4 posts with pins to hold the trunk onto the car. Car will be started with a starter box so I really don't want to use a key to open the trunk every time to get to the fuel cell.

Has anyone here built a switch or a button that can be used with the factory trunk latch to open the decklid? Thanks
Yes!

Take out tumblers and use a dime. Did that on my sport fury. Makes it easy to lock keys in trunk.

Seriously the key will stay there?? PO of the car had a fiberglass decklid and put fiberglass over the key hole on the rear panel. So this is a bit of a project but when I get it done I will post pics. Thanks again!!

on my demon the guy before me welded a bolt to the latch the had one of those tall chrome valve cover t handle bolt ran through the key hole. it doesn't look to bad I left it it works good. ill try to post a pic of it.

There's a Chrysler electric latch that will bolt right in place. I have one on my 64. Just need to run a button switch & a hot wire. If need be I can get the part # from it tomorrow.

This^^^^^^ Those latches stayed the same a LONG time so a factory electric latch will bolt right in.

-
Back