Trying to buy a new distributer and need to know what years ran mag pick up?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get a new distributer and the monkeys at the parts house need a year and make. So what year should I ask for so I do t end up with a points unit?

Engine is small block.

Thanks!

So 75 was the change over?

Shold I just ask for a 1976 to be sure I don't end up with a points trigger?

Thanks again.

75 was a few years into the electronic ignition. So just ask for a 75 dodge pu.

Dont go too new,end up with lean burn dizzy.....

They were optional for a year or two. I thing they were pretty much standard by '73 but don't quote me on that.

My 74 W100 had a electronic stock. No lean burn there!

Verify but don't trust till you have in your hands! The aftermarket likes to combine years as they are the same, I say "BS"!

i just dug out a distributor i bought from Rock Auto some time ago built by "World Performance".The slots are .410 (there is no advance stamping)... that should be around 10 or 11 x 2 for a total mechanical advance of about 20 - 22 degrees.This should let you run 12 - 14 initial and probably be O.K. right out of the box for all but the racers.
It only has one roll pin and no spring lock but a screw instead.The springs are heavy and light single stage but i don't know what the curve is.I ordered it for a '73 340 Challenger....model DST3890.No i don't have a Challenger...i just used that model for the order.
I haven't used it but it looks like a decent piece,hope this helps?

i just dug out a distributor i bought from Rock Auto some time ago built by "World Performance".The slots are .410 (there is no advance stamping)... that should be around 10 or 11 x 2 for a total mechanical advance of about 20 - 22 degrees.This should let you run 12 - 14 initial and probably be O.K. right out of the box for all but the racers.
It only has one roll pin and no spring lock but a screw instead.The springs are heavy and light single stage but i don't know what the curve is.I ordered it for a '73 340 Challenger....model DST3890.No i don't have a Challenger...i just used that model for the order.
I haven't used it but it looks like a decent piece,hope this helps?

This sounds impossible for a factory piece.............

The 73 book shows 340/ 360 11-13 and as much as 15 for the 360 those are dis. degrees, so if you are "lucky" as little as 22 but as much as 30 at the crank

i was surprised when i took it apart.As i said the slots on the mechanical advance are only .410
Factory distributors are usually 28 or more total mechanical advance...I wonder who made these distributors?

-
Back