Trying to decide on 5-leaf or 6-leaf Springs

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order new leaf springs for my 66 Barracuda and I want to get your opinion on whether to go with 5-leaf or 6-leaf.

It's usually just me and the wife, we rarely have anyone riding in the back seat. And, I don't haul anything in it.

6-leaf springs cost $41 more shipped. What do you guys think? If I really don't need 6-leaf, I can spend that $41 on other parts.

Thanks!

001b.JPG
What does it have on it now? I ordered mine from Espo in the winter and ordered 5 leaf instead of the 6 that was on the car. The 5 leaves didn't sag much but I did put on tall 15" tires for the look.

View attachment 1715277843

Last edited:
How long you gonna keep the car? All springs will sag over time - the 6 leaf springs will take longer to need replacement

I would go with the 6 leaf. I made up some 7 leafs for my Dart, from a 340 car, and they work great!. Nice firm ride, not too firm. I like the 5/8 front eyebolt. Much stronger than the 1/2 ".

5 is fine.

Just looked at a pic of your car at the Cumming show. If that is what is on now and is original you should be fine for another 50 years.

Have you considered just rebuilding your originals? Just doing that can get you 1/2” and better feel.

Driver's side is original. Passenger side the guy I got the rear and springs from was planning to race it and put an extra leaf on it. Now it has that super stock look that's higher on the passenger side.

I was planning to go with standard height ESPO.

I'm getting ready to order new leaf springs for my 66 Barracuda and I want to get your opinion on whether to go with 5-leaf or 6-leaf.

It's usually just me and the wife, we rarely have anyone riding in the back seat. And, I don't haul anything in it.

6-leaf springs cost $41 more shipped. What do you guys think? If I really don't need 6-leaf, I can spend that $41 on other parts.

Thanks!
Out of curiosity...where are you looking to buy them from? I'm planning on new ones for my 65 Barracuda, as I'm replacing my 7 1/4 with a 8 3/4.

I looked into ESPO. A number of members have them and like them. I also have an 8.75. I was quoted $322 shipped for the 6-leaf and $281 shipped for the 5-leaf.

In the past I always went with the biggest and best for my vehicles, but I'm trying to get away from "waste", lol.

It depends on your motor, are you going to race your car? 6 leafs on the drivers side 5 on the passenger side.

I would think it would depend on your HP level and the type of driving you're gonna do. Weekend cruiser with the wife 5 leaf. 500 hp weekend warrior 6 leaf.

to me even with a 6cyl in the car it rode better with 6 leaf over the 5 leafs.. and hell if ya happen to put anything in the trunk the 6 leafs are a ton better.. get the ones for a v8 also with the larger eye bolt...

I ordered the 6 leaf, 1/2" over stock height. It will likely be a few weeks before they are installed. I can give you a report then if you have not pulled the trigger.

David

@abodyjoe my main concern is a harsher ride with 6-leaf but you convinced me to pull the trigger on them.

As much as I love my little Commando 273, the idea of a 408 gets more appealing the older I get!!

Planning to place my order on Friday so I can get them in, then onto the front suspension before spring. Two steps closer to the 408:)

Thanks everyone!!

I went 6 Leaf +1”. was a little high has nice ride though. Stock suspension is way to soft. Standard 6 leaf I think would be ideal.

1/2" over stock sounds interesting for a slight but not much difference. I'll post up some pictures when I get them installed.

ESPO said they generally ship 7-10 after ordering.

I went with 6 on drivers and 6.5 on passenger +2”. Don’t regret it one bit.

Not sure about 66 but in 67 (dart) the rallye suspension package came with 6 leaf rear springs

I hadn't thought about it but I believe you're right.

Somewhere along the line, probably 1981 when the previous owner painted my car, he put "Formula S" badging on it. I'll take them off when I paint it. But, I think 6-leaf were on the package.

Not sure about 66 but in 67 (dart) the rallye suspension package came with 6 leaf rear springs

The previous owner of my Swinger added a extra leaf. I think it came out of a truck. :BangHead: It sets fine but rides like a lumber truck. It will get some 1 or 2 over's someday.

-
Back