Trying to identify my carburetor

-

eric1987gt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m sorry for the really dumb post- but I’m at a loss on what to do, so figured I’d ask for some expert advice.

I’ve got a 65 Dart GT with a 273 in it and I think the accelerator pump needs rebuilt. I’ve had the car for 15 years and don’t remember rebuilding the carb, so I figured I’d just clean the whole thing up.

Anyway, I snapped these couple pictures and headed over to NAPA to get a kit... but the parts guy told me they have 8 different kits for this car/motor combo, and I needed to know the model of the carb. Fair enough. I’ve looked all over this thing and can’t find a tag anywhere. The numbers (2005) stamped on the bowl don’t appear to be the carb number, and the parts guy was about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.

Long story short, do any of you recognize this carb? At some point I’ll probably change intakes and upgrade to a 4bbl (or actually rebuild the 360 sitting on my engine stand), but for now I just want to get this little Dart running better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

C49D9D06-C364-447A-95EF-D491A8F28A21.jpeg

2D1240B6-3A6F-4B9B-BEC4-B7D2E5DD0F42.jpeg

7326DD5C-F306-4A4C-B564-E0672DD488D5.jpeg

Not sure on these 2 bbl carbs, but is there a number stamped on the base of carb, front passenger side?
Same place as where the 4 bbl carbs are stamped.

Not sure on these 2 bbl carbs, but is there a number stamped on the base of carb, front passenger side?
Same place as where the 4 bbl carbs are stamped.

If original carburetor, a manual trans car should be 3843 and automatic would be 3844.

I think the accelerator pump needs rebuilt.
Pump shot you can check by observing the fuel coming out of the shooters while you manually work the throttle.
Should see fuel shoot out at the slightest movement of the throttle from idle. to maybe 1/2 throttle.
Easiest way to see this is with the engine warmed up enough so as not to need to hold the choke open to look in. Engine off.

Shop manual will be a big help. You can download a digital version from mymopar. https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/
upload_2021-3-30_21-37-6.png

You can see where the tag with the carb number should be in this illustration. Not too surprising its missing.
upload_2021-3-30_21-40-45.png

Last edited:
One suggestion. Shorten the filter to bowl hose and/or replace it with a short metal line.
The idea of having the filter exit higher than the entrance is for vapor bubbles to escape into the bowl and out the bowl vent.
This time of year we're still getting winter fuel which vaporizes easily. So on hot days in spring sometimes vapor can be an issue. Where you live this may be less so than in other parts of the country but worth mentioning.

No stamped numbers on BBD, two possible kit numbers the difference is the accelerator pump plunger and rod assembly. Walker kit number 15284C should cover your application . or napa 2-5480a

Last edited:
A common problem with those is excess clearance around the throttle shaft. This causes inconsistent idle and/or off idle stumbles. Check that out before you sink a bunch of time into it.

At least I’m pretty sure the accelerator pump is the problem.

The car idles well cold and warm- but when you try accelerating much it wants to stall. It feels like it’s running out of gas or something— to the point where it will cut out for like 5 seconds.

On Sunday I had the car out and drove around a little, and if I babied it like a grandma it was ok— but as soon as I gave it much throttle it was sketchy at best.

The car had a hard time backing up into my driveway to pull into the garage (subdivision house with a decently sloped driveway)- bad enough that I to get a rolling start to get up.

I’ve checked and it seems to be getting good fuel flow all the way to the carburetor, so I don’t think it’s a fuel pump issue or a clog in a filter or in the line or anything.

Thoughts?

Check the choke is operating properly.
Check the accel pump are operating properly.
Only way to know if the carb bowl is getting the correct amount of fuel is remove the top and check the float level.

Vapor issues are the only possibility that will be hard to check directly. But since it has the problem even when the engine is relatively cold, probably not a vapor lock.
It takes hardly any power to idle so that doesn't prove much.

Green Arrow points to carburetor Bowl vent, should be round metal disc, cleaner air system carb. Black Arrow points to expansion Dome, that does not show up in service manuals till. 1970

4114sa dome.jpg

Google “pics carb kit carter bbd 2 barrel”
There are at least three baelplate there some have all three some don’t
Don’t shred the old gaskets so you can compare them

Keep some older cores around with number tags, just for this situation. Carter carb number for 4414 casting number 1781 1966-67.Carter 4958 casting number 2168 1971-72. carter 6317 casting 2320 1973. So your casting number 2005 maybe around 1969-70

Before I would spend any money, take it apart and do some measuring especially Venturi size 273 1 - 1/16 318 1- 3/16 smaller venturi better drivability, 273 carburetor will not have holes in throttle plate.

Hey, I restored a 2bbl Carter for my 69 Barracuda
1969 Barracuda Fastback
Post #43 maybe it helps. Have more info upon request. Nice little carbs, they work great, but can be a bit tricky! Bought a gasket set from Mike's carburetor.

Cheers Wolfgang

Last edited:
-
Back