Trying to make everything fit, need advice

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Ok fellas I need some advice and insight here. I've got a 73 dart that's been mini-tubbed, including the outer fender well to allow the 315 tires that I have to fit under the rear end and up into the wells. I'm moving the springs and of course narrowing the rear. My plan is to get the car as low as possible. I've got two issues I need some assistance with:

First: I was planning on going with a skinny wheel (15x4) up front. But part of me is considering going with a 15x7 with a 4" backspace. Will this fit? and with the car low will it have turning clearance?

Second issue: My wheels are still being built, it will be about 60 days minimum before they ship. By that time the weather will be warming here and I'll be wanting to get the finishing touches on so I can get the car back on the road. The issue is I need to get the rear end measurement for narrowing so it can be sent out since it will take some time. My plan was to mount up the wheels and tires, stuff them into the wells and take a measurement from the back of wheel mounting surface to leaf mounts and side to side. With the delay in wheels I'm thinking I need to find a new method of measuring. I'm considering finding the cheapest wheel I can that matches the spec of the wheels I have on order (15x10 with 4.5" BS) and using that as a measurement one side at a time. Would this be possible. As long as the backspacing is correct it should be pretty similar correct?

Any help with this would be great guys. Thanks so much.

My advice is to be patient and get your wheels and tires mounted and then mock everything up.
Do your measuring and then you will know exactly what you need for width when the rear diff is narrowed.
This will probably save you some headaches and potentially some money in the long run, and i bet there's lots more you can do with the car while you're waiting..........

My advice is to be patient and get your wheels and tires mounted and then mock everything up.
Do your measuring and then you will know exactly what you need for width when the rear diff is narrowed.
This will probably save you some headaches and potentially some money in the long run, and i bet there's lots more you can do with the car while you're waiting..........

So new update. I've found the ability to get the wheels sooner. much sooner. I just need to know what to do about the front wheels. My choice is either a 15x4 with 1.75" BS or a 15x7 with a 4" backspace. I was planning on going with the 15x4 but I'm a little concerned tha tthe car will be completely useless except for in a straight line. My concern with the 15x7 is that if the car sits low in the front, that the tires will rub the fender. Any insight on the 15x7 fitment would be great. Or just opinions on the front setup would be awesome.

I would go with the 15x7s and forget about lowering it
But that's just me

Remember, most of yor braking is done by the fronts. Skinny tires really will compromise stopping power.

I ended up ordering the 7" wide and I'll run a 205 tire, just like what's on there. Based on my measurements it should fit almost identical to exactly what's on there now.

I would go with the 15x7s and forget about lowering it
But that's just me
And me
On the street 205s are not enough.
315s out back and the expense you are going to seem to indicate that your engine has some balls. That means it can get you into a lotta trouble really quickly. And to get out of that trouble usually takes a lot of room, cuz first gear is often good to 50 or 60 mph. A lotta room to recover. But if you have brakes, you can shorten the room to something more manageable. The first line of defense in being able to stop, are those two little tiny patches of rubber. After 30 mpg, 205s are not very good at stopping. And if you find yourself in the middle of a turn, skidding sideways, cuz you came in a little hot, those 205s are not gonna save your bacon. I strongly urge you to try to fit 235s at the very least, with 245s fitting with some careful fitment. Ask me how I know these things,lol. I tell you what, 235s are barely adequate on freshly cleaned city streets, and 30 mph speed-limits.And at least 60 series to keep from busting up aluminum wheels,lol.
Or maybe it's just my driving style,lol. But I didn't build my car to put-put; no, I built it to be a charger, and so, I will plow it as often and as hard as I can. And when I break it, I will fix it,and mod it,and strengthen it.
205s were the first thing to go.
Also, with 315s back there, you can take advantage of that, and bias more braking back there, to offset what you don't have or cannot get, in the front. The first thing I did was gut the Combination valve of it's proportioning system to deliver full line pressure to the back. I only run 295s back there, cuz they are cheap to replace, and the brands available don't scream to loudly. With 10x2.5 drums back there,I swapped wheel-cylinders until the rear squatted real nice during straight-ahead braking, but did not lock first. A 4-wheel brake slide, flatting the tires lol,with 235/60-15s up front, is awesome.And with adequate tire patches, They will snap your car back to the line, if you can scrub off just a little speed;in street-work.Whereas 205s will leave you mounted on the curb.
You will have to work your brake-bias out for yourself. I suggest 15/16 wc's to start with.
On the street, I found it was better to sacrifice a little ride-height lowering, to get a little more rubber on the pavement.Sticky 245s were awesome. But they didn't last the summer,lol. Oh yeah, I had to sacrifice a little sheet-metal,too; the front tires were arguing with the area at the bottom front corners of the wheel openings. The tires were winning.

Last edited:
-
Back