Trying to strip the factory finish off acorn style center caps? What works?

-

atomicDog

Reaction score
I'm trying to strip the finish off a set of factory acorn style rally wheel center caps. I've been able to remove most of the finish by a lengthy process of glass bead blasting the center caps, however, the outer edge of the center cap and the center of the acorn has some material on it that seems impervious to even glass beads and chemical paint stripper.

What have other folks used to successfully (and easily) strip the finish off of the factory style acorn rally wheel center caps?

Once I've had these center caps stripped of their finish, I'm hoping to have the center caps powder coated in a silver color. I've already had the rally wheels powder coated in a rally wheel color and they came out great. I use these wheels on an open car trailer.

If you have a way to contact Mr Peabody see if he'll let you use his wayback machine... Cause paint stripper from thirty years ago would strip them perfectly in five minutes... The stuff they sell as paint stripper these days is useless..

I'm trying to strip the finish off a set of factory acorn style rally wheel center caps. I've been able to remove most of the finish by a lengthy process of glass bead blasting the center caps, however, the outer edge of the center cap and the center of the acorn has some material on it that seems impervious to even glass beads and chemical paint stripper.

What have other folks used to successfully (and easily) strip the finish off of the factory style acorn rally wheel center caps?

Once I've had these center caps stripped of their finish, I'm hoping to have the center caps powder coated in a silver color. I've already had the rally wheels powder coated in a rally wheel color and they came out great. I use these wheels on an open car trailer.
That doesn't sound like any fun. Try soaking them with a rag full of lacquer-thinner/closed box or container.
I also know that my powder-coater doesn't cook die-cast parts. He's had too many warp.

Aircraft Remover

Screenshot_20230308-081319_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks for the added thoughts. I'll try some of these and provide a follow-up.

I've tried using EZ-Off and the coating on the center cap doesn't seem to be coming off with it, no matter how long I let it sit on there. The coating also seems impervious to glass bead blasting. Any other thoughts for removing this pesky old school coating/finish? I really want to avoid purchasing a new set of center caps for roughly $300...

20230321_001513.jpg

-
Back