TTI collector clearance

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Hi, I have ttis on my 340 duster drag car. I recently noticed how close the collectors are to the trans. On the driver side there is almost no clearance passenger side a little better. Im getting ready to install a blanket and it dosent look good. It looks like there will be contact. Is anyone running ttis and blanket or shield. If so what did you do about the clearance. Thanks

I really have nothing in common with your set-up other than it's an
a-body, I'm running a shield and I had collector clearance issues.

First, let me start by saying that your endeavour will require some fabrication whichever route you choose to go. I personally would run a shield and not a blanket for a couple of reasons. The first being that the shield does not come down past the pan rail and really shouldn't affect header clearance. The second is that the blankets (I've run one before) get real nasty after a while, especially if it's a street strip vehicle, and like to absorb oil, tranny fluid, cooland and whatever else may find it's way into the tunnel. That being said, I don't know too many cars that can run one without tunnel modification, so there's fab work involved.

Should you decide to run a blanket and don't want the "wick" it becomes when soaked with oil and what not to catch fire, you can cut all of the primaries at the vertical point just above where they bend 90 degrees to run horizontal and parallel to the floor, rotate them outward and re-weld. Again, requiring fabrication. Depending on how close you really are and how much clearance you need, you might get away with heating the collector cherry red and bending it outward slightly with a pipe. Bear in mind that there's a fine line between a slight bend and a crimped collector!

I've attached some pics of the wacky collector arrangement I was dealing with and a mock-up of the tranny with shield in the car. I modified the tunnel and the collectors for what it's worth. I hope this helps!

Oh, and yes, it's a GM transmission which forced me to cut the floor anyway, but the collectors wouldn't have cleared the pan on anything!

Attachments

• ProPartsHeaders 005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Barracuda 012.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Barracuda 008.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 170
Great info. Like the e brake. You have given some good ideas for my set up. Thanks

I'd like to know more about this issue...Looking into a set of TTi 1-7/8 headers to run on my 360 based motor with a 904 trans, and I am also running Lofgren trans blanket.

Lol! Thanks! It's a street strip car and it won't pass inspection without an e-brake. The factory set-up just wasn't working with the cage, so I went the Lokar route. Anyway, I'm glad I could help!

The reason this has come up is I have a 340 duster that is a drag race only car and it came with the tti step headers when I bought it. I am trying to correct some issues with it and have found that the headers are posing a new issue in there clearance around the tranny pan area. I have a spare set of hooker headers that I am considering changing out. Hooker collecters run parallel to the head flange. The ttis turn in and run very tight. The only thing stopping me is having to take the intire front suspension apart to remove the tti. I have another car I can use the ttis in but again you have to take that suspension apart. I am becomming less of a fan of tti headers. I dont know about the 1-7/8 but i would check the routing of the collector and the angle inwards next to the tranny pan.

Im going to have to do some more research on this now, thanks for the info.

Do you have any pics of what you are dealing with?

-
Back