TTI & Doug's installation questions

-

Lil Demon

Reaction score
I know this subjects been beaten to death and Ive read through many threads regarding these header installs. I just have a few more questions I'm hoping I can get some help here so I can decide which headers would best be suited for my setup, which is basically a '71 Demon with a 340 but with a T56 swap with hydraulic clutch setup.

My questions are as follows: Do Doug's headers require the use of a mini starter, do they clear factory P/S box. It seems that Doug's has a slight advantage to the TTI's as far as ground clearance, I just am confused on the starter/power steering issue.

TTI's their website seems to cover all my questions. My only hesitation is that I can get the Doug's substantially cheaper vs the TTI's and their is the ground clearance mini advantage as well.

Thanks for any insight!

I have Doug’s and I don’t think it’s impossible to use the large starter but you will make your life A LOT easier using the mini.

I know a lot of other people don’t have problems with them hitting things but mine hit my PS box a bit. I shimmed the inside of the ps with washers and it doesn’t hit anymore. Also if you have an h pipe that will pull them slightly more towards center and will help. You also have to make sure your engine sits in the compartment correctly.

I have Doug's, a TKO600 and PS. Mine hit the steering coupler. I didn't want to shim the box, jack up the motor, dent the tube or "pull" header to clear so I used a B-Body flaming river Tilt and is clear just fine. Granted that's an extra $550 cost but I now have tilt. I run the factory Z Bar and a Dakota mini starter.

I ran TTI shorty.

IMG_24961.jpg

Doug's here on a 310 & 360 in a '73 Dart with mini-starter and Borgeson PowerSteering;

Depending on engine-position the headers could hit either left or right torsion bar or steering coupler.
Due to a self-welded X-pipe kit I was able to pull the collector tubes together slightly and lessen clearance.

Ground clearance was a bit of an issue on my car. The collector-flanges ended up about a good 1" lower then the A518's original deep pan.
Against my desire I had readjust the ride-height up a bit. Now they clear everything but the most idioticly shaped and high slowspeed speedbumps.

I have Doug’s on the 340 in my Duster. I run a mini-starter on mine, it has a flaming river manual steering box though so no help on the power steering clearance.

It’s also a spool mount K frame car with poly bushings and 1.12” torsion bars, I did have to add some dimples for torsion bar clearance. But I can’t really shim to adjust the engine position with the spools and those are pretty large diameter bars.

Ground clearance is pretty good, I’m at a little under 25” to the tops of the front wheel openings and I still have about 4” to the collectors, maybe a smidge less. I did install TTI shorties on that car as well, I had just as many clearance issues as with the Doug’s D453’s and only picked up a little under 3/8” in ground clearance. I put the Doug’s back on after that.

When you are talking about a mini starter!! I had seen in a different tread that a 2000 Dakota 360 starter would work so I purchased one only to find a plug style connection for wiring the starter. So my question is what year is to be used for a 1972 Demon with cheap headers?? I was looking at 1996 and it seems to have the right style connection for the wiring of 1972 but pictures do not always tell the truth. So running cheaper headers manual steering have lots of room to put larger starter in but just want to up grade to the mini. So I am going to try the 1996 mini for the Dakota look and see

Last edited:
When you are talking about a mini starter!! I had seen in a different tread that a 2000 Dakota 360 starter would work so I purchased one only to find a plug style connection for wiring the starter. So my question is what year is to be used for a 1972 Demon with cheap headers?? I was looking at 1996 and it seems to have the right style connection for the wiring of 1972 but pictures do not always tell the truth. So running cheaper headers manual steering have lots of room to put larger starter in but just want to up grade to the mini. So I am going to try the 1996 mini for the Dakota look and see

When I did mine I had the Dakota wiring harness from my magnum swap so I was able to use the connector from that in some capacity if I remember right.

I just looked up the Dakota starters and noticed that Oriellys tends to carry the connector for the 2000 starter fyi, Part# BWD PT193.

BTW thanks for the tip I have a new Oriellys starter I was going to use, I'm going to order one for a later model Dakota and compare them.

I just looked up the Dakota starters and noticed that Oriellys tends to carry the connector for the 2000 starter fyi, Part# BWD PT193.

BTW thanks for the tip I have a new Oriellys starter I was going to use, I'm going to order one for a later model Dakota and compare them.
Crap!, nevermind. The connector they show is a starter relay connector not for the actual starter. Sorry. Either way looks like a '96 Dakota starter would work too. I will order that one and report back

-
Back