TTI exhaust, is it worth it??

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
So i've been looking into exhaust systems for when i get around to doing my /6 to V8 swap and i've looked at a lot of options. I've heard lots of good things about TTI systems but they're kinda on the expensive side at $616 for the 2.5 x pipe header back system. Then i'm looking through summit's catalog and see that right now their system for a 74 valiant is on sale for $188. It's a 2.5 no x pipe but what ever, super turbo mufflers and it makes me think whether it's worth while buying the $616 TTI system. So whats your opinions, are the summit systems ok?? Are the tti systems really worth it?? I know that i definatly don't have the money for TTI headers so that's out of the question, i plan on getting hooker comps. which is also what the summit system was designed to work with. Thanks all!!

I was very happy with the SB TTI headers and exhaust in my 'Cuda. If I had to cut cost I would do it on the exhaust system and not the headers. Are the Hookers much cheaper than the TTI's?

I wen't with the TTI 2.5 kit for SB. I wish I would have gone with the Summit or Jegs one though and saved a bunch of money.

The Super comps are a good Header for getting the most HP out of a motor. But they may hang low so be careful if you use them that you stay away from curbs and speed bumps.

TTI's don't hang low and are nice for a street car. But they give up a little HP and like you said cost a butt ton of money for what you get.

You could get a set of Dougs. They are very similar to TTI's in that they don't hang so low but are a litte cheeper.

don't ya have any good exhaust shops in your area? why not just have a nice system built at a local place for ya. i would spend the money on the tti headers before i spent it on the rest of the system

I am not made out of money, and dollars don't come easy for me, but my OPINION is this:

For the following reasons, I think the TTI's were worth every penny they cost me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even if I had to rob a convenience store to get the money.... (I bought the headers along with the 2.5", H-pipe system. When I bought my setup, they didn't yet have the X-pipe, a better system, I think.)

1. Jewel-like construction, with beautiful welds and mandrel bends on everything.

2. Great-looking ceramic coating; looks like silver paint, but is a tough, durable, practical coating that is easy to care for.

3. Flawless fitment; engineered, and configured, to a gnat's eyebrow and cleared everything, with no interference, anywhere (my car's an automatic; I can't speak for the manual transmission cars.) Two-piece construction on the driver's side made installation a snap!

4. Thick, no-leak flanges, and the shape of them makes spark plug access VERY easy.

5. NO ground-clearance problems; no smashed-flat primary pipes... speed bumps are easily negotiated without incident!

6. Works equally well with screw-onto-the-block, OR 90-degree adapter oil filters.

7. "Stepped" design (1.625" primary into 1.75" pipes) deliver excellent horsepower for all but the largest stroker motors, and would work well on probably 90-percent of street-strip applications. A pure race motor would make more outright horsepower with bigger header pipes, for sure.

8. Aluminized exhaust pipes and tailpipes, for an attractive appearance and a long life, on the street.

All-in-all, probably the best money I have spent on my old barge... trouble free, and a joy to look at (and, listen to.) As I said, I'd do it again, in a heartbeat! These pipes are a long-term investment.

Just my 2-cents...

I have installed 3 TTI Exhaust kits, '70 E-body, '74 A-Body, '68 A-Body. The E-body gave me the least problems. Where as both of the A bodies did.

The muffler hangers didn't line up with the seat belt bolts like the instructions said they would. I had to mark and drill the floor several inches away (toward the driveshaft).

I noticed with they '74 that the passenger side muffler hanger was "close" to lining up, but still needed to be bent worked in to place. The driver side muffler hanger was no where near the seat belt bolt, 6" or more away! I ended up bending both of them twice, cutting the driverside in half, and re-welding it to offset the mounting hole away from the brake line tab.

The muffler hangers they provide are symmetrical and the seat belt bolts are not. The driver side seat belt bolt is further away from the driveshaft than the passenger side. The hangers they provided me did not take this in to consideration.

They may have some body styles really close to "perfect" but the 2 different A-bodies that I have worked on they missed the muffler hangers by a mile. Its a quality hanger but... you really have to work (bend,cut,drill, and weld) to make them work.

With all 3 of them, I had cut and section the kick down linkage bracket on the stud at the transmission to gain clearance.

Its a quality kit but they could be better...

Exhaust work is just hard work. :angry7:

Just go see John Cherrey in Elmira! He'll take care of you! Trust me. I miss having him in Stratford.

jd i was talking to him at moparfest, seems like a good guy, i also wanted to hear the opinions of others about some of these systems you know.

wjaholic, thanks for the tip. i know what you mean about exhaust is hard work but in my opinion when you spend in the upper end of 600 bucks i'd want it to bolt right up.

Bill it sounds like you had tons of luck with the TTi system which is good to know.

As far as TTi headers go i just really can't afford it. i know what you guys mean when you say you get what you pay for and they're really worth it but it's just out of the question for me. Thanks for your opinions guys it's much appretiated!!

Dougs are just as nice and less money. Uncoated ones are around 425, coated about $550. If you use the summit 10% off coupon, even less.

The step is worth about 4-8hp on a 350hp engine, less on a lower HP set up, and will cost you an additional $150-200 coated vs. dougs coated. It's one of the most overrated sales pitches in exhaust for these cars.

I'll buy Dougs over tti every time, seeing as I have cars with both.

There are other excellent fitting options out there other than the higher priced brand.

Thanks for the opinion crackedback, that was kind of what i was getting at the whole time, is TTi just overpriced because everyone says they're so great. Thanks again guys.

Dougs are just as nice and less money. Uncoated ones are around 425, coated about $550. If you use the summit 10% off coupon, even less.

The step is worth about 4-8hp on a 350hp engine, less on a lower HP set up, and will cost you an additional $150-200 coated vs. dougs coated. It's one of the most overrated sales pitches in exhaust for these cars.

I'll buy Dougs over tti every time, seeing as I have cars with both.

There are other excellent fitting options out there other than the higher priced brand.

Got any pics??? I'd like to replace the rusty no-names on my Demon.

Wylde1.

Dougs on a 71 Duster. These are OLD! Like more than 7 years IIRC.

Headers004.jpg

Headers003.jpg

Headers002.jpg

If you have a manual trans, both Dougs and tti suck. tti were based on a set of Dougs when they were originally tooled up. Copied the best headers, then cha-chinged $$$$ them up.

>>>"The driver side muffler hanger was no where near the seat belt bolt, 6" or more away! I ended up bending both of them twice, cutting the driverside in half, and re-welding it to offset the mounting hole away from the brake line tab.

The muffler hangers they provide are symmetrical and the seat belt bolts are not. The driver side seat belt bolt is further away from the driveshaft than the passenger side. The hangers they provided me did not take this in to consideration.

They may have some body styles really close to "perfect" but the 2 different A-bodies that I have worked on they missed the muffler hangers by a mile. Its a quality hanger but... you really have to work (bend,cut,drill, and weld) to make them work
."

You are correct about the mis-placed hanger-support bolt holes... I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. But, I don't own a welder, so I didn't weld anything... Maybe I should have???

But, as far as, "With all 3 of them, I had cut and section the kick down linkage bracket on the stud at the transmission to gain clearance."....... I had already installed a Bouchillon cable kick-down system, so, I never encountered the kickdown linkage space problem.

I forgot about that, too... sorry!

I have TTI's also as they were the only ones that would fit in my car that didn't go under the steering drag link on the driver's side.

I have TTI's also as they were the only ones that would fit in my car that didn't go under the steering drag link on the driver's side.

That's not correct. Dougs don't drop under the center link at all.

They also fit the 73+ A body cars with spool mounts and 727's. Why the catalog says they don't fit those years and with that trans is beyond me.

That's not correct. Dougs don't drop under the center link at all.

They also fit the 73+ A body cars with spool mounts and 727's. Why the catalog says they don't fit those years and with that trans is beyond me.
Well, at the time I was looking it was the only one I could find. I didn't know about Doug headers.

Dougs on a 71 Duster. These are OLD! Like more than 7 years IIRC.

If you have a manual trans, both Dougs and tti suck. tti were based on a set of Dougs when they were originally tooled up. Copied the best headers, then cha-chinged $$$$ them up.

Thanks for the pics. My Demon is a 4-speed. If I keep it, I have plans for a Keisler hydraulic clutch assembly. Then I can get some decent headers. Thanks for the heads up.

Wylde1.

i would not spend the money again on ant TTI products.
the headers requred me to cut and weld my clutch linkage, hack my brand new lakewood bellhousing and blowout plate, and still rub my t-bars shimming and de-shimming my motor mounts. they look good years later, but have always leaked. something im working at agin sunday after church.

i bought the 3 inch x pipe exhaust as well. it lined up ok, but rubs the gas tank and leaf springs at the back. hangs pretty low as well.

next time, im looking at dougs and summit. same headaches, less money.

Michael

The TTI exhaust is a nice looking product, but they don't fit for crap. Lots of installation issues with this system.

i hear what you guys are saying and thanks for the heads up. I would be going with their 2.5 inch x or h, not sure yeat, but i'm thinking is that half inch will really make that much of a difference??? I'm hearing different things though, some guys say that they're great and fit nicely all the way to the back of the car and some that absolutly hate it, i know not every car is the same but there seems to be a lot of inconsistancy. Thanks though guys it is much appretiated!!!

I run the TTI 2.5" h-pipe system on my car and had no issues with the muffler hangers. Everything fits correctly and hits nothing. But you are required to cut the h-pipe and front head pipes to fit and their instructions didn't say how much to cut so I had to figure that out myself. But once it was all on it fit great. It has been on there well over 5 years and still looks like new. I originally ran stock 340 manifolds and later switch to their headers which bolted right up to their exhaust system I already had on my car. Money well spent.

Here's my .02 on TTI's, which I think are over-priced by about $600.....

My car is a 4 spd. small block w/ a Lakewood scattersheild. I've been a automotive technician 30+ years..... I have all the right tools......

And they were a ***** to install. :blackeye:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=65442

IF there's a "next time" it's going to be Dougs and a set of Pypes X pipe system.

-
Back