tti Header Hitting Torsion Bar

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
67 Barracuda, 340 with 727 trans
The number 7 tube is hitting the torsion bar toward the topside of the bar.
I placed an 1/8 inch shim between the K member and the motor mount on the drivers side it help but did not fix the problem.
I tried to move the engine over to make more clearance, but it appears that the motor mount stud is bottomed out in the slots in the K member not allowing any movement except upward.
Has anyone dealt with this ?

I placed an 1/8 inch shim between the K member and the motor mount on the drivers side it help but did not fix the problem.
I tried to move the engine over to make more clearance, but it appears that the motor mount stud is bottomed out in the slots in the K member not allowing any movement except upward.

Mine touched the Tbars just slightly . I never ended up dimpling the pipe but that would have been my solution. I never heard or felt it touch so I just left it as is.

Is the front of the car on jack stands? If so try putting weight on wheels and check. Depending on where you have the stands, if you do, there is some flex in the body and that may change things.

Is the front of the car on jack stands? If so try putting weight on wheels and check. Depending on where you have the stands, if you do, there is some flex in the body and that may change things.
Car is on a 4 post lift.

Use a hammer. I fought my Doug's headers and tried to make them fit. I could make one part clear but then the header would be hitting else where. I used a ratchet strap around both collectors and tightened it up to pull the headers in towards the engine. That cured some of the steering box issues, and the torsion bars interference a bit.

When denting a header use a larger diameter round pipe/bat/bar etc and hit it with a dead blow hammer. A little heat helps.

Funny, my 69 with 360/408 and tti headers fit like a glove, not even close to interference issues. May be bigger diameter bars?

Mine needed a fairly thick shim...

7B2FA840-39B4-44D1-B2D2-D2A44A553A7F.jpeg

Loosening ALL the mount fasteners, the bolts thru the block and frame, trans too, shifting/lifting the motor/trans, (large pry bar) and retightening can solve many issues. I have also found a carefully positioned ratchet strap can work wonders on "adjusting" (bending) a tube to get a bit of clearance, often an 1/8" is all thats needed.

I always flat file the flange for true, but filing/belt sanding the flange also works to adjust the "angle" the headers come away from the head, and can be used if the headers need to be closer to the block/frame, I've gained 3/16th at the torsion bar. Remember the driver's side lifts.

I've found most interference issues were more often with the car/rubber mounts, than the header's, not always, but more often.

Been Tempted, but haven't needed to dent a tube in a very long time.

And read the instructions !! ! ! .. A few of the recent posts seems the installers weren't aware the motor needs to be lifted, but tried anyway.

hope it helps . .

Last edited:
the distance from centerline on crank to top of K-member is suppose to be 5 1/4" per TTI instructions. I am about to start putting my TTI headers in my 70 duster and as soon as I get my tranny in and will let you know what I find out! it looks to be a tight fit! if you do not have the instructions, go to the TTI site and down load them!

the distance from centerline on crank to top of K-member is suppose to be 5 1/4" per TTI instructions. I am about to start putting my TTI headers in my 70 duster and as soon as I get my tranny in and will let you know what I find out! it looks to be a tight fit! if you do not have the instructions, go to the TTI site and down load them!

From what I have seen the exact same headers on the exact same year and model car can have different issue's.
I didn't get expensive headers because as much as people have to "clearance" about every brand from one car to another I figured it would hurt less to dent cheaper tubes.:D

-
Back