TTI HEADER INSTALL ADVICE

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
I bought a pair of long tube TTI headers at Carlisle last year & im finally getting around to put them in. I dont have much experiance with them. My car is a 67 barracuda with a 360 & power steering. What is the best way to install them ? From the bottom, top, do i need to loosen the engine mounts & jack the engine up ? Is there any mods i have to do to the headers ? Also it has a 4spd. Some time ago i installed a pair of Schumacher short headers to a 69 big block barracuda that i owned & i had to do some mods to the left header to clear the Z bar on that one. Is it possible to use the factory exhaust manifold studs or do they all need to be bolts ? Thanks for any help.

I bought a pair of long tube TTI headers at Carlisle last year & im finally getting around to put them in. I dont have much experiance with them. My car is a 67 barracuda with a 360 & power steering. What is the best way to install them ? From the bottom, top, do i need to loosen the engine mounts & jack the engine up ? Is there any mods i have to do to the headers ? Also it has a 4spd. Some time ago i installed a pair of Schumacher short headers to a 69 big block barracuda that i owned & i had to do some mods to the left header to clear the Z bar on that one. Is it possible to use the factory exhaust manifold studs or do they all need to be bolts ? Thanks for any help.
Their website has pretty explicit instructions for different applications which begin with "make sure that your engine is sitting properly where it belongs between the fenders. They even give dimensions.

Use studs where they don’t interfere with the primary tubes. I have the W2 style step headers which have a different bolt pattern but the install will mostly be the same. I did have to use a shortened bolt in one or two spots where the tube turns right off the flange. When you get them close you sort of hang one end on a stud and try to get the short bolt threaded a little. Then you can start threading the rest of the bolts. Other applications may be somewhat easier but be prepared for that type of situation where you need to start fasteners in an awkward manner. Don’t destroy your gaskets wrestling things around.

Bottom or top - have a lift? If yes then go from the bottom though it’d be much easier with the T-bars out.

If no lift, then from the top is probably easier. You will have to undo the motor mounts and jack up the engine on one side to get them on. Passenger side is a little tougher because they are one piece. The slip tube on the driver’s side is helpful.

Do you have an oil filter adapter? What starter motor?

It’s a bit of a process for sure.

Driver side slip tube, #7 tube, was a PIA until I understood that the pipe won’t fit until you slide it in all the way until it bottoms out in the rest of the header.

Otherwise the TTI instructions were very good.

Use studs where they don’t interfere with the primary tubes. I have the W2 style step headers which have a different bolt pattern but the install will mostly be the same. I did have to use a shortened bolt in one or two spots where the tube turns right off the flange. When you get them close you sort of hang one end on a stud and try to get the short bolt threaded a little. Then you can start threading the rest of the bolts. Other applications may be somewhat easier but be prepared for that type of situation where you need to start fasteners in an awkward manner. Don’t destroy your gaskets wrestling things around.

Bottom or top - have a lift? If yes then go from the bottom though it’d be much easier with the T-bars out.

If no lift, then from the top is probably easier. You will have to undo the motor mounts and jack up the engine on one side to get them on. Passenger side is a little tougher because they are one piece. The slip tube on the driver’s side is helpful.

Do you have an oil filter adapter? What starter motor?

It’s a bit of a process for sure.
no oil filter adapter hi torque mini starter

When it comes to the Z bar has anyone modified the Z bar them selves if its just the matter of cutting & welding i can do it myself it would be cheaper

-
Back