Tubing update for guys that tube and port their heads

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The last time I bought 17/32 and 9/16 brass tubing I bought around 12 of each then I quit porting for customers so I had stuff on hand for years. Well with the work I’m doing this year I let myself run dangerously low. With two sets of Speedmaster heads ready to start on and probably another set Edelbrock heading this way next weekend I went to check my stock and I had a 1/2 stick of 9/16 tube. I drove to my first spot and they quit handling it, second stop one 9/16 and one 17/32. Third stop two 9/16 with the old number on it. And that brings me to this post. Guys have asked me the K&S number many times and it’s now 8140 instead of 140 and 8141 instead of 141. I would usually jump on Amazon and place an order but it’s 3.00 more per stick and it takes two of each to tube a pair of heads. I went to Ace Hardware online and ordered 155.00 worth to have delivered to my home. After driving 75 miles for four tubes heck on the free store delivery. I’ll pay the delivery fee.

16F3F671-8440-4FFE-9224-49693C63B6D2.jpeg

9EF9586E-4805-45F3-9559-F0628EE555E1.jpeg

AA92B469-CBF1-4C99-B9EB-8412FE84549A.jpeg

how do these compare?

how do these compare?

Pretty close in price. Crazy thing was I could only add 7 (17/32) but on the same order I added 7 more and it went through. I ordered like (16) 9/16 with no problem. Should be here early this week but I’m good now for the set I will be tubing tomorrow. I did one Truckflow head tonight. Thanks for the link I added that to my phone as I like the free shipping of 50.00.

I get it from MSC. BUT!!! I haven’t had to buy any in a while so I don’t know what they have or how much I’d get raped if I needed some now.

I get it from MSC. BUT!!! I haven’t had to buy any in a while so I don’t know what they have or how much I’d get raped if I needed some now.

Things are going crazy. A simple 2 and 4 haircut like I get went from 13.00 to 15.00 to 20.00 in a year. Heck on that. There went his tip.

John, mind if I ask, what is the name of the puddy you us to coat the brass tubing before you tap them in the head also what size drill bit to drill out the pushrod hole for the tubing? Thankyou very much, Red

McMaster is another good source for things like this. Shipping is added after, which is the only thing I don't like.

3ft for $14.50

Tubing, Round Tube, 3 Feet Long, 0.014" Wall Thickness, 9/16" OD
McMaster-Carr

John, mind if I ask, what is the name of the puddy you us to coat the brass tubing before you tap them in the head also what size drill bit to drill out the pushrod hole for the tubing? Thankyou very much, Red

I drill the heads bolts out to 9/16 on my drill press and hand drill the pushrod holes to 17/32. Make sure they slide in by hand but not sloppily. I mix up enough JBWELD to do one head and just put a very thin coat around the end of the tube I am pushing in and drag one thin line down apart of the tube away from the pinch where I will be grinding. As up tap it in it spreads itself. I usually put a chamfering bit in a hand drill and chamfer the two head bolt holes I drilled so I know I didn’t leave a ridge. Remember don’t mix a lot as it takes like a one inch thin line of epoxy and hardner side by side before mixing. I’ll usually slide like a 7/16 bolt in the 9/16 tubing so I can tap it softly with a ball peen hammer and not damage it.

I drill the heads bolts out to 9/16 on my drill press and hand drill the pushrod holes to 17/32. Make sure they slide in by hand but not sloppily. I mix up enough JBWELD to do one head and just put a very thin coat around the end of the tube I am pushing in and drag one thin line down apart of the tube away from the pinch where I will be grinding. As up tap it in it spreads itself. I usually put a chamfering bit in a hand drill and chamfer the two head bolt holes I drilled so I know I didn’t leave a ridge. Remember don’t mix a lot as it takes like a one inch thin line of epoxy and hardner side by side before mixing. I’ll usually slide like a 7/16 bolt in the 9/16 tubing so I can tap it softly with a ball peen hammer and not damage it.
Hi John I was reading your thread here and I have never worked on heads before what is the purpose for this procedure thanks Tom

Hi John I was reading your thread here and I have never worked on heads before what is the purpose for this procedure thanks Tom

I tube the pushrod holes and two common wall head bolt holes in the head so I can widen the port as much as possible to gain all available area to control airspeed. I did a couple of tech posts in the Speedmaster head “sticky post” on the procedure. Especially if you go with a bigger valve this pays nice dividends but I tube every Edelbrock type head I port.

I tube the pushrod holes and two common wall head bolt holes in the head so I can widen the port as much as possible to gain all available area to control airspeed. I did a couple of tech posts in the Speedmaster head “sticky post” on the procedure. Especially if you go with a bigger valve this pays nice dividends but I tube every Edelbrock type head I port.
Thank you

Well my tubing arrived today safely and may be enough to get me into porting retirement. Lol. Only problem is if I die before it’s gone my kids will probably say what the heck did Dad do with this crap. And throw it in the trash. 14 (17/32) and 14 (9/16).

F2AF50FB-6A3B-445C-A923-A94D9D9A56D9.jpeg

D5D15B70-961A-4E4A-B88D-A1BC9E131FC2.jpeg

0CB6A9C2-5119-46C4-A567-1209FDCFEEF0.jpeg

No worries John, the kids will just make blow guns out of them.
Darts will be the wave of the ammoless future. lol

Buy some clippers and do your own haircut.

Ya I did it for 14 months or so during Covid so I can do it. I didn’t mind 15.00 and a five dollar tip but I’m not tipping on a 20.00 haircut. A two on the side and four up top takes 5-8 minutes max.

barbershop needs to make a living too. He raises prices, you raise prices. Caint get behind the ball.

-
Back