Tubs with stock frame rails

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to put tubs in instead of doing the mini-tubs, my very narrow Dana 60 forced me to get creative with the install. For those unaware the stock frame rails are 38 inches, my Dana is 41. So I had to go an additional 7/8 inboard and that was the most I could do to make everything weld in solid and I still had to trim my backing plates and assassin bars bottom plate (where u bolts go through) I put my axles in to get my wheel size figured out. I ended up buying 15×12 weld draglite with 2.5 inch backspace. So with a .5 inch spacer I'll be able to run the tire I'd like (29×12) which would fit in a mini-tub but Incase I need a bigger tire I'd like to have the room already.
Alright so who done it, can you show me some pictures so I can get an idea.
Thank you dudes

I don't know about 70's but on my 69 I had to move the rear end back 1/2" to get a 28" tire to fit.

I don't know about 70's but on my 69 I had to move the rear end back 1/2" to get a 28" tire to fit.
67-76 hardtops have the same wheel openings.
I'm planning to do my own version of a super stock wheel well opening so I can keep the rear in factory location.

It’s all in how you go about things. My 1974 duster had stock frame rails and mini tubs that looked stock. I ran super stock springs and a 14-31 slick on that car.

It’s all in how you go about things. My 1974 duster had stock frame rails and mini tubs that looked stock. I ran super stock springs and a 14-31 slick on that car.
Oh well that's interesting. Well I guess I can start by seeing what the mini-tubs look like since I already have the kit.

Oh well that's interesting. Well I guess I can start by seeing what the mini-tubs look like since I already have the kit.

this was the car. 14-31 was the biggest tire this car could fit springs were in stock location
E9325EAC-10CF-4BEE-87A3-E53B041B23DB.jpeg
594A52AF-BE64-413D-802D-A85CAD728BF6.jpeg
C4A4A63C-1D10-4D5E-B99A-D1B1C20A5224.jpeg
3612F33F-437F-43CE-8D32-3FE2A5920FE2.jpeg
061EDFCA-7ABE-4803-B89D-DD798E78DDF7.jpeg

Hey John, do you remember off hand what size wheels & the back spacing was or is to make that tire work, Also I believe a duster has a wider wheel well, I'm not sure how much but if I cut the lip and leave a little to weld back together I have 15.25 from the frame to ww opening.
Lastly how tire much clearance for safety

Hey John, do you remember off hand what size wheels & the back spacing was or is to make that tire work, Also I believe a duster has a wider wheel well, I'm not sure how much but if I cut the lip and leave a little to weld back together I have 15.25 from the frame to ww opening.
Lastly how tire much clearance for safety

I’m sorry but I don’t know or remember a lot of details on this car. I bought it from a friend who bought it from a guy that got the car brand new for a graduation gift and made a race car out of it. I bought it as a roller and fine tuned the chassis but didn’t build it. The guy did a beautiful job on the mini tubs and they almost looked stock. As with most of these car and even my black duster the air was removed to install the wheels and slicks then inflated. Almost positive they were 12 inch wheels (centerlines). Sorry I can’t help more.

I’m sorry but I don’t know or remember a lot of details on this car. I bought it from a friend who bought it from a guy that got the car brand new for a graduation gift and made a race car out of it. I bought it as a roller and fine tuned the chassis but didn’t build it. The guy did a beautiful job on the mini tubs and they almost looked stock. As with most of these car and even my black duster the air was removed to install the wheels and slicks then inflated. Almost positive they were 12 inch wheels (centerlines). Sorry I can’t help more.
Thanks, atleast I got a cool story.

Dusters have different wheel wells and openings, they will take a taller tire. I ran a 275 on my Duster and had plenty of room.

67-76 hardtops have the same wheel openings.
I'm planning to do my own version of a super stock wheel well opening so I can keep the rear in factory location.

If my car was going to be painted I would've sectioned the front of the opening and moved it forward at least one inch. it makes for a clean job and 99% of the people will never spot the change.

72' Scamp.

My D60 is 45.25" width flange to flange. Backspacing is 4". I can fit a 325x50x15 drag radial with room to spare. I got my 31x13.50 BP tires to fit as well, but I have to deflate them to put them on. No biggie.

If I had to do it again (and I probably will someday) I would probably narrow the housing even further so that I don't have to tilt the tire/wheel so much to get them inside of the wheel well.

I also made some pin positioning plates out of 1/4" to move the axle forward and aft if needed. I got everything to fit with the stock gas tank. Took a lot of measuring and planning. I'm happy with the way it turned out

20220430-105901.jpg

20220501-093111.jpg

20211002-133809.jpg

72' Scamp.

My D60 is 45.25" width flange to flange. Backspacing is 4". I can fit a 325x50x15 drag radial with room to spare. I got my 31x13.50 BP tires to fit as well, but I have to deflate them to put them on. No biggie.

If I had to do it again (and I probably will someday) I would probably narrow the housing even further so that I don't have to tilt the tire/wheel so much to get them inside of the wheel well.

I also made some pin positioning plates out of 1/4" to move the axle forward and aft if needed. I got everything to fit with the stock gas tank. Took a lot of measuring and planning. I'm happy with the way it turned out

View attachment 1715948468

View attachment 1715948469

View attachment 1715948471
Nice work

• If my car was going to be painted I would've sectioned the front of the opening and moved it forward at least one inch. it makes for a clean job and 99% of the people will never spot the change.
    I was looking at my quarter panel last night trying to figure a layout because I could nearly get the same thing as a super stock opening just it would be factory looking & only have to make a couple fillers.
    I hope it's not to hot this summer and I'll want to get into that

• I was looking at my quarter panel last night trying to figure a layout because I could nearly get the same thing as a super stock opening just it would be factory looking & only have to make a couple fillers.
    I hope it's not to hot this summer and I'll want to get into that

If done right the only filler piece will be on the top of the wheel well opening.

If I remember correctly I had 28x13.5 Hoosier QTP's on my 72 dart with a spring relocation and the tubs widened to the frame rails. only trimmed the lip on the quarter panels. they did rub on the inner tub if you made a hard turn and any real speed.

If I remember correctly I had 28x13.5 Hoosier QTP's on my 72 dart with a spring relocation and the tubs widened to the frame rails. only trimmed the lip on the quarter panels. they did rub on the inner tub if you made a hard turn and any real speed.
Ooh yeah I don't want any rubbing.

-
Back