Tuff Wheel Mounting???

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
My 70 Duster has the two spoke rim blow like the one in this picture.. I want the Grant Tuff wheel from E-Bay.. Do I need the adapter or not??? Thanks..
wheel.jpg

I don't remember. LOL Sorry just bolted the sucker on there. I got the Grant adapter but did not like it at all so did not use it. I did have to bend the turn signal switch some.

Attachments

• i6116.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 477
A lot of people, myself included, don't like the looks of the Grant adapter. I did buy the installation kit, because it had the horn spring and associated hardware.

Burnt above proves you don't HAVE to use the can adapter, but I wouldn't be able to reach my wheel comfortably without it.

I recently installed the cheapo grant tuff wheel on my 67 barracuda I got from Mancinis for $107 shipped.

It was supposed to be a direct bolt on with any 3000/4000 series grant imstall kit but you need the horn switch adapter to fit the large diameter horn button.

Luckily the wheel had dual pattern holes drilled and tapped to fit either factory tuff wheel holes or grant install kit holes.

There are also holes drilled and tapped for the horn switch adapter which I did not have for the tuff wheel horn button.

I frantically looked around the garage to see if I could make something work and I came across my old steering wheel from my 71 dart swinger and robbed the horn switch from it.

To make it work I took out the three screws that held the three prong pedestal on the switch for the horn button and just for fun stuck the tuff wheel horn button on the switch and it was a perfect fit with just a push and a turn.

It works perfectly and I was happy that my switch had the same bolt pattern as drilled on the wheel for the other switch.

My turn signal lever was dragging my knuckles so instead of bending it I just cut the end button offwith a whizz wheel and put a rubber plug on the end......feels much better in shorter length.

Sorry no pics of the install cause I can't load them up from my iPad, but I can email them if someone wants to load them up and post them.

As far as the look of the wheel goes, the three spines are kinda dull looking and look just crudely ground down and could have been polished better so I will see of I can polish them up and maybe clear over them, but you get what ya pay for......chrome would look much nicer.

Just a heads up,there is a guy selling one on Moparts with a Challenger horn button on it,and he says he paid $90 for it.I'm not 100% positive or saying the guy is lying but looking at the spokes it looks to me to be the 13.75 incher pn 860 like Cudaspaz just replaced,http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-860/

The other one is 15" pn 846 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-846/

I mention it because I almost jumped on it myself,but decided to do some checking first.

Like said above, you could use the grant adapter or a tuff wheel adapter or you can use no adapter but you need to bend the turn signal (be careful). FWIW I liked the way it felt with no adapter but it looked stupid as all hell without it, too close to the dashboard. Also keep in mind wheel diameter when buying a wheel.

The adapter looks super cheesy but, it gains strength when bolted to the wheel. I am using it with manual steering and it does not appear to be bending or twisting and functions fine.

The wheel itself i think looks pretty good, I did have a few issues with it. First issue i had is my horn spring was not long enough so the horn would just stay on. Took the spring out and pulled it apart to make it longer, now it works fine, could use a bigger spring maybe as any time i brush up against it i honk it. The second issue i had was after a few months I went out to my car one day and the horn button had came unglued and was laying on my drivers seat. glued it back on and went on my way. These two issues are just a bit annoying as they could be easily fixed by the company.

will fit with the grant bought adapter I ran one season with it like that but it sits to close to the dash pad and you do need to bend turn signal switch I have since bought a E body crush can that will put the wheen away from the dash

Attachments

• 100_0728 (Copy).JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 100_0729 (Copy).JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 5P65S15R23nb3kf3l2bbj26855e52bc1d1e9d.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 5Y45S45R43kd3md3l3bbj99112eb09ee01edc.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 433
You can find original adapters on ebay and here. Just be sure it's not a truck one. I love factory tuff wheels and install them on just about every mopar I own. :)

Just a heads up,there is a guy selling one on Moparts with a Challenger horn button on it,and he says he paid $90 for it.I'm not 100% positive or saying the guy is lying but looking at the spokes it looks to me to be the 13.75 incher pn 860 like Cudaspaz just replaced,http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-860/

The other one is 15" pn 846 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-846/

I mention it because I almost jumped on it myself,but decided to do some checking first.

I have the 15" #846, no extended can adapter, horn switch from 71 swinger, cut off black button from end of turn signal lever.
Took it for a spin yesterday for the first time with the new wheel and immediately loved the way it felt, and my turn signal lever is the perfect length and no longer sticks out past the steering wheel.
I am a bit closer to the dash with the wheel but it feels fine.

I could email someone a pic if they care to load it up and post it as I can't load from photobucket with my iPad.

I could email someone a pic if they care to load it up and post it as I can't load from photobucket with my iPad.

PM sent

Now y'all make me want one.

The "Tuff" wheel.

IMO the BEST factory steering wheel made until about 1999.

76 Trans Am is nice, GLH/LRE is nice, Daytona CS would have made it, but main "spoke" at bottom is too dang big to grip

Here's a pic of my leather wrapped Grant with a modded A body can to fit my 67-69 floor shift column.

column014Medium.jpg

It's in the car now and I love it, but for some reason I haven't taken a pic of it yet?!?

-
Back