Tune up, it must have been a WHILE...

-

rabius75

Reaction score
i started a tune up today, i didnt get it finished because i had to go to work, but i got three wires and two plugs done, and the distributor cap.
advanced auto didnt have the rotor button for it, so i still need to check autozone.
the car runs a bit smoother than it did, and it doesnt stutter nearly as much as it did.
all i can say is, the guy that had the car before me didnt care for it like he shouldve. every plug wire i removed BROKE. and two of the spark plugs (one i changed and one i switched the wire on) werent even torqued down all the way... still loose. one was wiggling when i changed the wire!!!! HOLY ****! i couldnt change that plug before i had to go to work, but i tightened it down what i could. let me tell you, with power brakes, its a Pain in the *** to get to the back two plugs on the driver's side, not to mention the exhaust manifolds really help!
i couldnt find a two inch extension so that hindered my plug removal on the back two. i cant wait to get this finished, then i have to change the upper radiator hose, it looks about worn out (its flattened somewhat...wtf..)

all after school tomorrow (5/28) ill have plenty of time to get it done.

i was finishing that tune up today, and let me tell you, i now know why my car was running rough and making that knocking sound.
im not sure what cylinder number it is, but the very back one on the drivers side, the plug was about to fall out, and the wire was barely sitting on top of the plug, arcing to the exhaust manifold, making a clickity/knocking/tapping sound. it was arcing like, a half inch, at least.
the guy was like "that tapping sound is there sometimes, sometimes not..."
GEE, I WONDER WHY??
im glad im getting this car taken care of, im gaining more and more confidence in it everyday :)
A BODIES FOREVER!

Isn't it amazing how well things work when they're put together correctly :p That was #7 cylinder. Drivers side even, passenger side odd.

thank you.
ill remember that.
i have one plug left to change, and get the rotor button, but its F-bombing AMAZING how much better that care runs. it doesnt knock, the idle is soooo much smoother, and the voltage is much much much more stable. i figured it had to do with the engine running rough, but i didnt think the car was in need of a tune up that bad, i mean, good god.
heh, now the car will do a straight line burnout too :twisted:
when it climbs hills, its CLIMBS, it doesnt just kind of accelerate up them, it conquers them. im guessing my mileage will go up a decent amount too!
thats a plus too, because i only have $14 left for the week for gas.
i owed my mom $20 for the registration, and i bought the tune up stuff, and put $25 in gas in her... i guess ill mow the grass for some cheddar this week, @ $30 for doing it, there is no question.

i wish i could too, its been raining all week, and i need GAS MONEY!!
my car is getting much better mileage now, but its still no honda civic..

Hot for this time of year here. No rain in sight.

I did eat mexican so the bowl results were NICE!

If you don't have these do your self a favor. Get yourself a "flex head ratchet"

These come in all KINDS of long, short and bent handles, but GET one

00944835000-1

Also very very useful are "wobble" extensions. These jewels of inventions have the sides of the part you insert ground at a taper so that the socket can wobble slightly, acting as a sort of slight U joint

8%22dr+hdl.jpg

-
Back