Tunnel Ram Carbs for 383?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I emailed Holley to see what carbs the recommend for my 383. They replied with the: 0-1850c vacuum secondary.

Anyone using these carbs? Or what carbs are you using with a tunnel ram?

Just not sure how tunable these carbs are, I'm going to try and get the most out of it possible.

383 specs:
Mopar purple solid cam: 284 duration, 0.528 lift, 110 Centerline
Ported "906" heads using MP templates
10.0:1 compression
1.625" or 1.75" primary pipe headers (haven't decided what size yet)
A-833 transmission
Weiand Hi-Ram Tunnel Ram
HEI ignition system
Wideband O2 sensor

They are very tunable, but 1200 CFM for a mild 383 is stupid, IMO.

If 1200cfm is too much,then every one with a 340/383/440 6 pack,with a rating of 1350cfm should toss there carb set up in the trash,just making a point.Since I have a 383 with dual quads on a weiand tunnel ram on a 383,I will go out and remove it and send it to the scrap.mrmopartech

He asked for opinions. That's mine and I stand by it. I would use two small Edelbrocks any day over 1850s.

I have been thinking about finding a dual four for my 273.. I would run the dual four setup from FiTec.. Seems to me they have their stuff together...

He asked for opinions. That's mine and I stand by it. I would use two small Edelbrocks any day over 1850s.

1850's are vacuum secondary 600s..... How small an Eddy can you get? 1850s are easy to come by and often you can buy them by the pound at your local scrap yard if you look in their dirty die cast bins. Common on a lot of old Fords.

You'll probably end up jetting them around 62 on the primary with 4.5 power valves.

If 1200cfm is too much,then every one with a 340/383/440 6 pack,with a rating of 1350cfm should toss there carb set up in the trash,just making a point.Since I have a 383 with dual quads on a weiand tunnel ram on a 383,I will go out and remove it and send it to the scrap.mrmopartech

That's the rating for 2bbl. carbs which is at a different pressure drop than the 4bbl. rating. Which makes the 3X2 Holley rated around the 950 cfm area.

1850's are vacuum secondary 600s..... How small an Eddy can you get? 1850s are easy to come by and often you can buy them by the pound at your local scrap yard if you look in their dirty die cast bins. Common on a lot of old Fords.

Edelbrock has the AFB and AVS style carbs at 500cfm.
I'm don't know what part of the world you guys are in for old used carbs to be sitting around collecting dirt for this long of a time. Around here, shelf life is very short for used cars.

I am running 2- Holley older 460cfm carbs on 383 weiand tunnel ram.
50 cc squirters. Tried larger carbs, too much fuel. This setup runs awesome
with mild built 11:1 engine.
I can get #s off carbs if anyone wants to compare to whats available.
2" fenderwell headers also
D.

hey JGC-go with the 1.75" headers, 1.625" are too small for big block ports. the holley guy is not going to say use a carter/edelb carb. I say go 500 carter/edelbrock. and yes, mrtech, 2 barrel and 4 barrel carbs are rated different, and was not the center carb on a 340/6 smaller than a 440/6? and I would not dig for any old holleys, if U want to dig for old small stuff carter made 400 afbs

Something else to consider is a pair of large two barrels.... 500s or 650s
vbpgimage.php

If it was my engine i would take a long hard look at a pair of 500cfm edelbrock carbs they tend to work quite good straight out of the box on milder tunnelramed engines.
They have tiny primarys that gives awsome drivability at lower rpms and small throttleopenings.
Might not be optimum but they tend to be very easy to work on and wont take much time to make work nice out of the box.

-
Back