turbo build/ mild restore

-
So Im returning the aje rack and pinion. I ordered a manual steering box, heim joints to replace the inner and outer tie rods and a set aluminum swaged tube.

Im interested in how the heim joints will work. Where did you get the idea to use them?

Im interested in how the heim joints will work. Where did you get the idea to use them?
hotchkis makes a set but they are almost $400. I'm putting some paint on the steering rods now I'll post a pic in a bit of what they look like.

here they are on the car. After looking at these pics I realize I need to do some more painting under the car.

The painting never ends lol, buy one new thing and have to make the rest look as good lol

Yep hear you on that, thought I got everything on the rear suspension and was under there yesterday welding some frame brace for the trunk floor ( took out the spare tire area) and found unpainted areas

Now did you just go with those to get rid of the ball joints, or did it give you more room?

Now did you just go with those to get rid of the ball joints, or did it give you more room?
Just to get rid of the ball joints, and it looks cool. They sell them as bump steer kits, not sure if it does correct that or not.

A little update. Found a location that works for the alternator and then painted it cause it looked out of place. And got a new dash insert built. Second time working with fiberglass and I hope its the last time.

Are there jamb nuts on those tie rod sleaves to keep them from loosening up? cant tell in the pictures. We ran a setup like that in my oval track racing days, costs about 45.00 per side total, all parts can be bought from speedway motors.

Are there jamb nuts on those tie rod sleaves to keep them from loosening up? cant tell in the pictures. We ran a setup like that in my oval track racing days, costs about 45.00 per side total, all parts can be bought from speedway motors.
not yet they are in the garage waiting to get put on.

Its been a while since I updated. I pulled the interior out of the car and 2 part epoxied the floor. I did the first start up of the car, found some exhaust leaks and that my turbo oil and drain tubes are to small. I was getting frothy oil coming out and the turbo nearly stopped spinning, so I picked up new lines today just need to get them put on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=42SHcHWJafI

as you can hear the exhaust leak is fairly large

Well I'm a idiot, I started taking the turbo oil lines off to put bigger size lines on. Took off the old fuel pump block off plate off that has a 6an fitting welded on for the oil drain. Flipped it over and the gasket didnt have a hole in it so I was just building up pressure. Hand to forehead.

found coolant in the oil, stupid metal intake gaskets. Got new felpro gaskets put on today.

Got my exhaust leak fixed, wrapped the turbo pipe with header wrap.

Had a small set back, after pulling the interior out to 2 part epoxy it the fitech handheld was laying on the floor, we got 3" of rain in 20 minutes last week, I had one of my work truck submerged in around 4 feet of water. So I go open the door of the scamp and I see the head unit laying in about a 1" of water. I took it apart to let it dry out for 2 days and then cleaned it up. I put it back together and it seems to work the display came on I thought I was good to go. Started the car and it ran for 30 second when I noticed a small fuel line leak turned off the car to tighten up the fitting and car wont start after that and the display is gone. Got one ordered hopefully it will be here this week.

-
Back