Turn Signal Switch

-

devnull

Reaction score
I need some help trying to understand Satan's puzzle... 1968 turn signal switches. First, I need to give some background since I've got a complex situation. I'm working on my 68 Barracuda. It came with an 8 wire turn signal switch that may be bad. I currently have no working flashers or turn signals. My brake lights, head and parking lights, and horn all work as they should.
I suspected the turn signal switch is bad so I ordered a replacement but it only has 7 wires compared to the original with eight. The switch layout is below. You'll see the old switch has 8 wires and the replacement only has 7. The old switch is still in the car.

Original Switch - Purpose
Black - Horn
Dk Green - L Rear stop/turn/flash
Tan - R Front turn/flash
Brown - R Rear stop/turn/flash
Lt Green - L Front turn/flash
White - Brake Light Switch
Red - Power for turn signals (?)
Yellow - ? *mystery* ?

Replacement Switch
Black - Horn
Tan - R Front turn/flash
NO YELLOW

I *think* the yellow wire might be for flasher power in the old switch. I can't find a wiring diagram for the switch itself. My wiring diagrams for a 68 Cuda do not show the steering column side of the switch. Does any one have a diagram for the switch side of the connection? Can I use a 7 wire switch when an 8 wire switch was in there before? What is the yellow wire used for?

Thanks

I need some help trying to understand Satan's puzzle... 1968 turn signal switches. First, I need to give some background since I've got a complex situation. I'm working on my 68 Barracuda. It came with an 8 wire turn signal switch that may be bad. I currently have no working flashers or turn signals. My brake lights, head and parking lights, and horn all work as they should.
I suspected the turn signal switch is bad so I ordered a replacement but it only has 7 wires compared to the original with eight. The switch layout is below. You'll see the old switch has 8 wires and the replacement only has 7. The old switch is still in the car.

Original Switch - Purpose
Black - Horn
Tan - R Front turn/flash
Yellow - ? *mystery* ?
[SNIP]

Thanks

I figured it out and got it working. In the original post, I didn't mention I was using a Kwikwire harness because I didn't want to make it any more confusing than it already was. I went back and studied 1968 wiring diagram and the Kwikwire instructions some more and determined that I probably had the 12v flasher and 12v turn signal sources backwards. I switched them in the column connector and viola - I have turn signals and everything else works.

-
Back