Turn signals and back-up lights...

-

jtolbert

Reaction score
So, as I take my '67 Valiant apart I've been thinking about changes and/or improvements that can be made to the car. I was looking at the tail light assemblies and had an idea.

The Valiant originally used a combined brake and turn signal bulb. I believe there's merit in the idea that a separate, amber turn signal is more visible than a shared brake/turn bulb. Since there's the white back-up light section below the red brake/tail/turn signal, I thought about running an amber bulb there and using the back-up section as a turn signal, then doing something else for back-up lights.

First, do you think it's worth it? Second, were there any other A-bodies that had a separate back-up light that was placed somewhere else besides the tail light housing? How about other mopars in general? Maybe bumper-mounted, or mounted in the trunk lid?

The only problem I see with it, if I'm reading it right, is your rear turn signal has to be red I do believe. I would check state laws.

In North America, rear turn signals can be amber or red. You see cars with amber turn signals all the time. NHTSA has studies that indicate there is a significant overall safety improvement with amber turn signals (e. g., http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811115.PDF). It makes sense to me. :) I'm more interested in how to handle things cleanly for a back-up light.

use the 67 Dart back up lights..they are in the bumper! easy fix
just a thought...

67Signet: thanks, that's more along the lines of what I am looking for. I think the Dart back-up lights would look fine in the Valiant bumper.

I wonder how different the bumpers themselves are...

Looks like the '70 Valiant (not Duster) had the reverse lights in the rear bumper, too. I wonder how different the '70 Valiant bumper is from the '67 Dart rear bumper. Anyone have pics of these bumpers handy?

Looks like '70-'73 four-door Valiants all used a rear bumper that would work. Gotta find one without bumperettes, though.

Should not be to hard to find
I only thought of it because I have the Valiant and a 67 Dart
nice build you have going , keep it going and share a picture or two as u go so I can follow

Bruce B

The 67 Barracudas had the back up lights mounted in the lower rear valence panel.

In 68 they were moved to the tail light housing.

Can't speak for 69 as I have not owned one... yet.

-
Back