Turning a 73 Dart into a 72

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I've finally got a little time to sit down and start a thread on My new project. I previously had a 72 Dart that had some hidden damage that I felt was beyond My skillset (and budget)to repair.Last year I found this 73 Dart in Rocklin near Sacramento Ca advertised here on fabo. I got a great deal and the car is in great shape aside from some rusty floorpans due to a leaky windshield seal . The quarters are rock solid and the trunk is in absolutely great shape.Took some work but I got the 72 doors fenders hood and valance to fit.Sold the 73' front end for nearly what I paid for the entire car!Cleaned up the interior sold the bench and put in my aftermarket buckets.Next I swapped in the 8 3/4" axle that was previously under My 72'.This weekend I transferred the front suspension and V8 K member while I had the engine compartment stripped out for paint .next I need to plumb the new master cylinder and proportioning valve.

New Dart Oct 002.JPG

Dartransference 020.JPG

axle transplant 019.JPG

axle transplant 031.jpg

axle transplant 022.jpg

dash bored 013.JPG

pulling the slant 6 007.JPG

engine bay resto 001.JPG

engine bay resto 019.JPG

engine bay resto 035.JPG

PapstXX nice work Brother

Do not keep waiting me so long for the next photos

Thanks!
Ask and you shall recieve . here's todays progress ,cleaned and reinstalled the steering box.It was totally unrecognizable this morning.

drive shaft steering box resto 005.jpg

Damn joe im jealous lookin good thats what i wanted to do to my dart :(
looks hella good bro....

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
SOUPENE Damn joe im jealous lookin good thats what i wanted to do to my dart
Soupene food for thought the 73 + grille looks pretty good blacked-out .8)

(Just saw your thread looks like you allready did that looks Great!)

Grille repair 020.JPG

small bit of progress plumbed the new master cylinder and proportioning valve.
This is new territory for Me .The napa autoparts flaring tool worked great!

joe's phone pics 056.JPG

Looking good so far! I'm doing kinda the same thing except I'm turning a 74 into a 72. Couldn't find a 73 I could afford at the time. Looks like you have the same bucket seat as me. Good job hope to see more.

Here's the only progress I've made of late .This was the only spot of exterior rust on the whole car.I cut a patch panel out of the 72 before I got rid of it .Only thing holding Me up right now is the floor pans .I'm either gonna pay some one to weld the front floor pans in or invest in a better welder and do it myself.

live newt pics 010.JPG

live newt pics 011.JPG

live newt pics 016.JPG

live newt pics 017.JPG

live newt pics 021.JPG

Looks cool!Thats a very small area of rust for a 73.I,d get a new welder before paying somebody to do the work.Thats just me.Good luck and keep up the good work.8)

Got brave and welded in new front floor pans . My welding skills are not the greatest and I only have a wire feed welder but I think it turned out Ok.Lucked out as the rust had not yet gotten to the torsion bar crossmember.only surface rust I wire wheeled it and painted inside with rust converter paint the night before I welded the pans in place .here's the pass,side.

floor panel replacement 018.JPG

floor panel replacement 019.JPG

floor panel replacement 021.JPG

floor pan repair 003.JPG

floor pan repair 018.JPG

On another note.I Guess I'll need a new sending unit there was a lot of water in the tank from sitting so long.The float is completely rotted away.And the pickup tube is almost completely blocked with sediment!What's really amazing is My 72's tank looked like brand new inside not the slightest hint of varnish or sediment.

floor pan repair 002.JPG

Well picked up a new tank and sending unit the cost to get the tank boiled out at a local rad. shop was looking to be almost the cost of a new one so I bit the bullet and ordered all new stuff. Been mostly working on getting the quarter panels straight.My neighbor is a retired autobody guy and has been helping out with his knowledge,tools,and even supplying some of the materials ! Here's where I'm at right now with the project...
Cleaned under the headliner and painted with rust converter paint.
replaced the sound deadener and covered the headliner in a felt material.

headliner install 006.JPG

headliner install 030.JPG

headliner install 034.jpg

cool car i have a 73 also its got a 71 demon front clip cause it was 120.00 pick n pull. but i like the no wing window thing.

cool car i have a 73 also its got a 71 demon front clip cause it was 120.00 pick n pull. but i like the no wing window thing.

Thanks I was gonna use the 73' doors but they were pretty tweaked while the 72's are perfect not a dent to be found ! $120 for a whole front clip is a screaming deal Good job !

Here's how the quarters are looking right about now,still a few small imperfections but man I am getting close.My neighbor tells Me "you'll know when it's right cause you'll just fall in love with it".

a pillar moulding quarter panels 020.JPG

hey, ur doing a good job! keep it up! quarter looks good, and so does the A-pillar trim...

lookin good man! great work so far. its good to see someone doing everything themselves :)

-
Back