Turning back the clock

-
I just don' know if I can fully trust people that aren't animal lovers... sorry to hear about Scuffs.
As far as the car goes...... talk about over restored!! VERY NICE!

I did not know this. Sucks. That cat was always with you. Sorry Buddy

He was always with me because like you and me, he loved being around Hemi A bodies.....caught him cat napping in Big Jim Bears HemiDemon and in my silver Duster far too often. We spent hours combing the neighborhood looking for him one day last fall only to find him curled up on the rear floor.

Thanks, Scruff will miss your hot rod shop too. He loved to snoop thru your parts.

Sorry to hear about your little buddy, my youngest son loves a little kitten that somehow found its way into our basement on the coldest day of winter last year.

My wife and son have no idea, how he got in the basement.

He his a pretty good cat, I named him ALF.
A - annoying
L - little
F - fuc*er
He comes home every morning, all beat to crap, I guess fighting the big cats in the neighborhood, and he is not too good at it.
I told my wife to take him and have him fixed.

The car is looking great, are you going to rip it on a wide open pass, when its complete.

Scruffs, may you rest in piece. (Actually.....I think he had been doing that all along).

View attachment 1715187069
-PAXP-deijE.gif

Man, so sorry for your loss. I cried like a baby readin your post because it reminded me of havin to put my Stubby down in 2015. Cats are special animals and can really get your heart. We love all of ours. We are at eight now.

Yall are doin a fantastic job on the car. It is so badass.

Thank you guys for all the great comments regarding our buddy Scruffs. He was one of us, even putting in some OT... saving up for his own FABO Gold membership.

Just a heads up.....rearranging the shop today to get ready to bring the Flash back for assembly. Reminds me to take my leaf blower to the shop with me today....that baby works better than five brooms.

Maybe Bro John will comment on his 3 plus hours on the the phone the last couple days with Butch.....sounds like he is as excited about the restoration as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Maybe Bro John will comment on his 3 plus hours on the the phone the last couple days with Butch.....sounds like he is as excited about the restoration as the rest of us.
Yeah....my cell went off a couple of mornings ago and it was Butch Leal.

Seems that some folks had been telling him about the significant progress on the California Flash Duster. They had showed him some recent pics (He doesn't do computers) and he was really excited. He must have checked up on us because right away he was asking about our yearly big tent at the Nat's. He volunteered to attend and to sign autographs and tell stories (he can tell them all day and I could listen to them - they are great!). He also has some pictures and posters to sell. All I have to do is get the show promoter to buy his plane ticket (probably not a problem) and he said no hotel, he would stay with his old friend Gil Kirk (Rod Shop). Evidently his restored '65 Belvedere SS/B is only a couple of hundred miles away and he said he would get it there for a double display.

Of course this depends on if our car gets done in the next six weeks which would be a Hail Mary. We have (so far) decided not to exhibit it until it is truly done. If not, we will certainly do it next year.

Actually something strange happened here:
1- We wanted Butch to see the car when it was done.
2- We were going to try to get him to come to the Nat's and be with the car when we displayed it.
3- We had been thinking about replicating the photo on the cover of the 1975 Direct Connection catalog with Butch and the car.

Well, all of these things may happen and I didn't have to say a word. Butch brought them all up on his own. Amazing! Now if we can only get the car done. Denny thinks it a three month job; Six months if I help.

Last edited:
Rethinking the Nats ..... if John can get Butch to the Nats....we ought to be able to bring the almost completed Flash. Might not be able to move under it's own power, but it can be there.

First off..sorry to hear about Scruffs, there are a few fond memories of him, everything from taking naps on top of Corvettes to checking out the Mogadore barn to make sure it was up to his standards.
Okay, Now to business...its been a week since you cleaned out the garage...any progress pics of the rapid paced Flash assembly?

Thanks Ross, and thanks for always being a gracious host to Scruffs, I'm still getting used to him not being around keeping an eye on me....closed or open.

The Flash is finally back at the shop....I have a 72 HemiSwinger / HDK build at the fab shop I am assisting with in getting some mods and repairs the next few days...after that, I can get started.

Last edited:
I think you should skip the Carlisle show and use those 4 days to assemble the Flash. Of course I would love to see you and John but getting the car finished is a better plan. My 2 cents

great advise....and we think alike. I will talk to Bro John, but that makes sense / cents.

After modifying a NOS radiator from a 75-78 Charger to resemble the original radiator, Cley (89on35s) DONATED his very nice CORRECT radiator that will get the mods. He also had the little clips for the rear bumper that you do not see, but for me (I'm anal) has to be there.

Thanks Cley for your generosity. Cley even covered the freight from Saskatoon, Canada. He, along with Jackie (JDMopar), have earned a personalized photo of the freshly restored Flash autographed by Butch.

Working on putting finishing touches on the Dana and suspension for final install......and planning the interior install after.

Denny, it was my pleasure to be able to donate something to the restoration of such a significant piece of racing history. I gotta get off my butt and book a room in Columbus! :) I don't want to miss a chance to see Butch and the Flash together in the same place at the same time!!!

Looking forward to a good time, it normally takes a week or so to wipe the grin off my face. This year....maybe a little longer.

-
Back