Twin Hood Scoop Templates for 70-71 Dart - Anyone have one?

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
I have a set of original mint 71 scoops that I want to install on my 71 Dart. Terrified about drilling into a nice newly painted hood. I am a complete newbie when working on cars.

I found an older thread by Tazz who made and sold some templates to do the job correctly. Here is the link.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=123708&highlight=Hood&page=3

Does anybody have one of these templates or something similar? Willing to buy, rent, borrow, walk your dog or wash your car!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

no need for a template unless the underside of the hood isn't already pre drilled.. being a 70-71 most likely the holes are already there...

here ya go.. the arrow points to the windshield

64564178.jpg

get the rear most holes centered and the rest will fall into place.. its cake man...

64563037.jpg

Oh Joe, I wanted to man-hug you there for a second! Ran out to the garage to have a look and i do have the rear most centered holes predrilled. I have 4 of the holes matching like yours. Is it really that easy?

Thanks for the information. John

yup. get the rear most perfectly centered and the rest fall into place.. i have done it that way a few times.

I keep staring at your car and then your avatar....not in that order. Cool?

Thanks again. I remember seeing an article on this project with pictures in a mopar magazine a few years back.

lol...

the article you remember is probably from mopar enthusiast. i helped out installing the scoops on this dart.. it wasn't jamies/and mine at the time though..

IMG_1856-1.jpg

I still haven't figured out...were scoops always body color? Some are black on non-black cars, and I don't know if those are repro's or what...

Mine are original and are currently black and has the 340 4 barrell emblem. Not sure of they came from a similar colored car.

I am actually going to have them painted white so they look like this.

attachment.php

Saaaweeettt! Thank you so much.

Question - when drilling holes what bit do you use? Place tape on hood placement, mark tape and then drill down?

From Tazz original post -is this what works best?

The longest part of this install was the aligment of the template (want to make sure it's right) and the marking of the holes. Once that was done it only took about 15 minutes to drill out the rest of the holes after predrilling everything with a 1/8" drill bit. I used a unibit to drill out the 3/8" & 1/2" holes. And if your not going to drill out the 4 1/8" hole heck that cuts the time in half. What takes time is that your getting ready to drill some holes in perfectly good hood. Kind of scary but the rule is measure twice cut once. same applies here.

Sorry if questions are stupid. Really nervous about drilling a newly painted hood.

-
Back