Two horn conversion question.

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Does anyone have two horns in their A body vehicle? My 1974 Duster only has one and I'd like to convert it to a two horn (high and low tone) system like I have in my 1969 Charger. Has anyone ever done this? I know that I'd have to get another horn and bracket. Would I need a different horn relay? Is the existing horn switch in the steering wheel hub up to the task? Is there a lot of additional wiring involved, or is it a simple plug and play with junkyard parts from a two horn car? Any and all ideas welcome - thanks. (Photo of car below)

IMG_2506.jpg

Mine came with one (previous owner added a Roadrunner horn) but there was wiring for two. I just bolted up two and plugged them in.

4-12-18 263.jpg

Mine came with two horns. Same relay and the horn button works fine.

Agree with the two above posts. Two horns were optional, but common. The wiring should be there to add 2 horns (a high and a low tone horn). Just pick up the horns and brackets at the boneyard or swap meet and bolt them in.

Yep,just like post #2. Factory piggybacked one to the other from the single wire.
Good looking Duster !

Your '74 may have the horns mounted under the battery tray instead of on the radiator yoke (my '75 does, I believe they moved there when a radiator overflow bottle was added in '73?), but the wiring for both horns should still be in place- you just need the late brackets.

Your '74 may have the horns mounted under the battery tray instead of on the radiator yoke (my '75 does, I believe they moved there when a radiator overflow bottle was added in '73?), but the wiring for both horns should still be in place- you just need the late brackets.
Okay, I just checked it out under the hood. My Duster's horn power supply is a single green wire that has a female spade connector at the end of it. There is no jumper from that connector to a second female spade connector to operate another horn. Does this mean I need to modify my wiring harness to include a jumper to a second horn? My horn's mounting bracket horn is held onto a battery tray support bracket at the rear of the tray with a single bolt. Do you think that I need both of the horns off a car from the junkyard, or can I use my existing horn and simply add another. They need to be two different tones, obviously. Finally, does anyone know where the second horn mounting bracket goes? Photos would be great - thanks!

Okay, I just checked it out under the hood. My Duster's horn power supply is a single green wire that has a female spade connector at the end of it. There is no jumper from that connector to a second female spade connector to operate another horn. Does this mean I need to modify my wiring harness to include a jumper to a second horn? My horn's mounting bracket horn is held onto a battery tray support bracket at the rear of the tray with a single bolt. Do you think that I need both of the horns off a car from the junkyard, or can I use my existing horn and simply add another. They need to be two different tones, obviously. Finally, does anyone know where the second horn mounting bracket goes? Photos would be great - thanks!

You can get a little spade adapter that has a second spade on it, and run the extra wire from it.

d295642b-e75f-47f4-9331-984007ec3ec5_1.135c4a50802819b7c842bb03226cb71f.jpeg

My '72 has two horns and when the Grant GT steering wheel horn button is lightly pushed, it'll honk the low note only. It's weird.

ya know what's funny is after my car passed safety, in 1999, I went out and defeated the horns and haven't ever needed them since.
Those horns used to get me into so much trouble, with guys wanting to bash me, for honking at them. I mean when you cut me off you better move ur azz or I'm a gonna lay on the horn. I mean that's what they are there for right?
Or if ur lolligagging half drunk thru the Crosswalk I'm a blowing it.
Or if yur sleeping at a stoplight, my horns need exercise.
Or yur crowding the lane-divider beside me ; hey mister wake up says my horn.
I mean there must be a thousand reasons to honk the horn, and I used to wear out the horn-switch, blasting tunes to creeps, lol.
So when I built my Barracuda, the Law says I have to have an operational horn to run my car on a public road, so It had horns on that day. Is it my fault they quit working? and now,
I'm very glad that no football player wants to bash me.

Just checked and learned that the radiator yoke support on my 74 Duster was factory drilled with the mounting hole for a second horn. The hole (and its adjacent smaller hole which accommodates the mounting tab) is below the battery tray on the vertical flat rear side of the yoke. Looks like plenty of room to mount a second horn, as the existing horn is mounted to the support bracket at the rear of the battery tray.

My '71 Demon came out of factory with only one horn and a single green/red wiring from the relay, but the radiator support was ready to receive two horns (threaded holes)
So, I installed a pair of used Lo/Hi Sparton horns purchased here on the forum.
I use the original relay and just added a jumper between the two horns (I made this jumper from a piece of green/red wire out of an old dash wiring)
This way, it seems original... and works.

Horn2.jpg

Francois.

Last edited:
My '71 Demon came out of factory with only one horn and a single green/red wiring from the relay, but the radiator support was ready to receive two horns (drilled holes)
So, I installed a pair of used Lo/Hi Sparton horns purchased here on the forum.
I use the original relay and just added a jumper between the two horns (I made this jumper from a piece of green/red wire out of an old dash wiring)
This way, it seems original... and works.

View attachment 1715979119

Francois.
Tres bien, Francois. Merci!

does it matter which horn (HI/LO) connected to the terminals? I just bought the sparten ones and wondering if I need to connect both and if it matter which order to connect them too

does it matter which horn (HI/LO) connected to the terminals? I just bought the sparten ones and wondering if I need to connect both and if it matter which order to connect them too
Nope

Thanks! Think i may have a bad relay. To test them before I installed. I grounded the unit to the radiator support and connected the wire. It didn't work. I did confirm the horns are good by applying power from a power supply.

No, the order that they are connected does not matter.

Thanks! Think i may have a bad relay. To test them before I installed. I grounded the unit to the radiator support and connected the wire. It didn't work. I did confirm the horns are good by applying power from a power supply.
Yes, maybe a bad relay. Or maybe a bad horn switch on the steering wheel.

-
Back