~ Two Things ~

-

MachineMan

Remove Before Flight
Reaction score
Well, two things.................

A friend of mine has one of those somewhat rare rag top Dodge pick ups that were made for just a few years.

It has gone from running real nice to a nightmare in one day.

The owner is an automotive expert of 30 years plus experience, in Antique cars.
Auburns, Cord, Packard,... stuff like that.

He does not have stupid friends, they are a bunch of smart bastards, including retired Chrysler line and dealership mechanics

After spending over $2,000 he has parked it & put a tarp over it.

Sounds like it's haunted.

From conversations.........................

From his house in the morning South on the 5 freeway, just when he is across from the Gene Autry Museum,(about 20 min), in the exact spot,..... it starts to die.

Tap tap tap tap, stab stab stab..The gas pedal trying to keep it alive.... Pull to the side...

I remember he said the computer has been replaced twice, the last time after a guy in San Diego who is an expert, when thru it 100% and set it up perfectly.

The throttle body has been replaced twice, new modules , sensors, etc,etc.

He could tell it in detail, but this is what I remember.

I spoke to him today,..... he lost his job.

Is anyone here an expert on these trucks?

This guy could use a ray of sunshine.

The other thing..................

I remembered something,...... My friend Trace has a unique Mopar item.

He was friends with "Racer Brown" and received from him a beautiful full size, 1:1 scale, Big Block Hemi exploded view assembly blueprint.

Racer Brown was sent this blueprint by the factory.

I have seen this print a couple of times, Trace put it up when he first got it, it's huge.

Then he quickly took it down because he was afraid something would happen to it.

So, I am asking...............

1) Who wants me to take a picture of it?
2) Who would like to own it?
3) Who would like me to search around & find a copy place that can handle that size?
4) Who would like to own a copy?

Sounds like fuel starvation but we'd have to have more info to help. Year? Engine? Will it start right back up again? Does adding some fuel down the intake allow it to start? As for the hemi blueprint......how big is "huge"? How much would a full size copy cost? Post a photo and you'll see how much interest there is.
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark,

I will get the entire story word for word from my friend with the haunted Dodge, I just wanted to at least speak up on his behalf with the little I had heard.

Now the bad news............

My friend Trace sold that blueprint to some guy a while ago.

Had I known I would have beat the bushes for a place that could copy it.

It measured 3 feet X 18 Feet.

It illustrated "Every" Hemi configuration, every part was illustrated, and ........ what can I say,... this was a rare piece.

I will try to touch base with the guy who bought it and try to make some kind of arraignment.

If he is a dickhead, I wont even be able to snap a picture of it, let alone try to get copies made.

He gave Trace $400 for it.

I'll see what I can do.

But,.... I need to know how many members have an interest.

If no one has any interest, I will drop the whole thing.

I am talking to him now.....

It's a 1990 Dakota SE , with a 3.9 liter V6 , auto two wheel drive

77,000 mi, he is the third owner.

It's light blue,... white canvas.

I will get the "diary" on the haunting.....

Thank you guys!

I have had similar problems with other vehicles (ford)
the causes were

intermittently functioning fuel pump, good pressure then bad, then good again, you could hear it when I took it off and tested it

fuel pump relay beginning to fail,
or corrosion on the fuel pump relay plug in connector

(not sure if any of this will help or will apply to the dodge truck)

80's 90's TBI from any of the manufacturers is/was crapp at best and Chrysler's certainly have/had a well deserved reputation for being as crappy as any. I spent more than a few years chasing problems with mine. Not mentioning all the little things I tried, I replaced the actual injectors several times and finally replaced the entire computer to get it running somewhat acceptable although not perfect, and I still don't trust it.
Next step for me will be a fuel pressure reducer and a thermoquad (not quadrajet, although one of the Mopar factory supplied ones would work too) setup from one of the last carbureted trucks, because I don't want to spend the time and money converting an old work truck to port injection. Don't have a clue if they would let you smog it that way in SoCal though, even if it passed the sniffer.

I am talking to him now.....

It's a 1990 Dakota SE , with a 3.9 liter V6 , auto two wheel drive

77,000 mi, he is the third owner.

It's light blue,... white canvas.

I will get the "diary" on the haunting.....

Thank you guys!
I have a 90, Same powerplant, 229k and still starts and runs very well... Pull the distributor cap, lift off the rotor and look at the pick up plate, if there is ANY play, replace It, I had to put a reman distributor in mine. Those particular years for (all) MoPar pick-ups were quite problematic,....I guessing the inline fuel filter was replaced, Check the fuel pressure,I don't have the specs yet,...Is the in tank fuel pump noisy or can you here it at all, mine quit at 90k, It just stopped,....soon as I finish my coffee and wake up I'll get my book...

Thanks
Jaimus, I may hear more today.

I will post the entire haunting.
,... I may hear more today

~ The Haunting ~

This is the full story, My friends name is Jerry.

He is a Big Time car guy, (post horses & buggy days stuff).

He is joining FABO and has extended his thanks in advance.

Here goes....................

1990 DODGE DAKOTA SE CONVERTIBLE 2WD PICK UP, 3.9 L V-6, AUTO W/ OVERDRIVE. 77,361 MILES. 3RD
OWNER. SOLD NEW SEPTEMBER, 1989 AT SIGMUND DODGE, DEARBORN, MICHIGAN. BROUGHT TO CALIFORNIA FROM MICHIGAN IN 2001 WITH LESS THAN 20,000 MILES.

CURRENT PROBLEM: CUTS OUT. ENGINE COMPLETELY SHUTS ITSELF OFF EVERY MORNING AT APPROXIMATELY 4 MILES FROM HOME AND 9 MINUTES INTO COMMUTE – EITHER AT 70 MPH ON FWY. OR 30 – 35 MPH ON SURFACE STREETS.

AT THE SLOWER SPEEDS CAN VIGOROUSLY PUMP ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO “RESTART” IF CAUGHT WHEN IT IMMEDIATELY SHUTS DOWN – OTHERWISE, MUST PULL OVER AND WAIT 2 OR 3 MINUTES BEFORE IT WILL RESTART.
MAY HAPPEN AGAIN WITHIN A COUPLE OF MILES, BUT GENERALLY, NOT.

OK FOR THE BALANCE OF THE COMMUTE.

IF IT HAPPENS AT SPEED ON THE FWY. – IMMEDIATELY PUT IT IN NEUTRAL, SIGNAL RIGHT AWAY AND LOOK FOR QUICK (PANIC) EXIT. WILL RESTART AFTER A FEW MINUTES TO CONTINUE COMMUTE BUT CAN’T TRUST IT ON THE FRWY.

BALANCE OF COMMUTE ON SURFACE STREETS. EVENING COMMUTE – SAME RESULTS, ONLY MUST AVOID FWY. AS ALL TRAVEL MUST HAPPEN IN “FAST LANE” W/ NO HOPE OF A SAFE PLACE TO LAND.

TIME LINE:

4-15-10: ENGINE SKIPPED OR MISSED SLIGHTLY FOR APPROX. ½ SECOND AT 70 MPH. SAME EVENT FOR NEXT FEW DAYS AT APPROX. THE SAME LOCATION ON FWY. MILEAGE: 69,050

4-24-10: INSTALLED NEW FUEL FILTER. 69,389 NO CHANGE.

4-28-10: ADDED 1 BOTTLE LUCAS FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. 69,526 NO CHANGE.

5-01-10: IDLE SPEED CONTROL ACTUATOR REPLACED. CHECKED PCV VALVE, HEAT RISER AND AIR CLEANER THERMOSTAT PER HAYNES MANUAL – ALL CHECKED OK.69,666. NO CHANGE. HAVE SINCE PURCHASED A FACTORY 1990 RWD. DAKOTA SERVICE MANUAL.

5-10-10: THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR REPLACED AT 70,060 NO CHANGE.

FROM THIS POINT ON THE TRUCK GOT PROGRESSIVELY WORSE – RAN ROUGH, STUMBLED, COULD BARELY KEEP RUNNING IN AM. PULLED OVER TO LET WARM UP WITH NO LOAD, GUNNING ENGINE. ONCE WARMED UP TO PROPER OPERATING TEMPERATURE –OK.

5-18-10: MAP SENSOR REPLACED AT 70,416​

( Continued )

5-19-10: Faulty idle speed control actuator replaced at 70,444 (warranty). Ran poorly again, parked and rented a car.

5-31-10: Replaced rotor, cap and plugs at 70,622 ran ok for mechanic and me for a few days.

6-14-10: Replaced cap, igniter, coil, plugs, pick up coil, oxygen sensor and cleaned injectors. Same problems.

6-16-10: Replaced fuel pump, relay and hoses.

6-19-10: Put back in service. Truck ran ok.

8-27-10: Added i bottle lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Truck ran great until early september: Early one morning truck quit 1 ½ miles after getting on fwy. Coasted down first off ramp into a gas station. Would not start. Had to be towed home. 73,900

next day: Mechanic checked for electrical problem – no power to distributor. Traced problem from under hood to under dash then back again. Ran ok for a while – replaced coil (warranty) that was replaced earlier.

9-21-10: Replaced factory original spark plug wires with new. 74,394

9-?-10: Replaced original throttle body (suspecting internal crack) with used unit from minnesota. Flow tested new bosch injectors that were previously replaced along the way. Replaced fuel pressure regulators and checked for correct psi – ok. Removed computer and had tested at test facility – checked ok.

Truck ran ok october and november.

12-08-10: No power to coil. Re-check computer, n/g. Replaced with rebuilt unit from test center, reprogramed w/mileage & v.i.n. Runs good but now starter going out – takes 4 or 5 turns of the key to engage – got progressively worse.

12-12-10: Replaced factory starter at 77,371

( Continued )

12-13-10: REPLACED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AND THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR W/UNITS OFF FACTORY ORIGINAL THROTTLE BODY. RAN GREAT AT IDLE FOR 15 – 20 MINUTES AFTER SWAP AT ALL RPMS.

12-14-10: AM. TRUCK RAN SO BAD – OFF FWY. FOR GOOD. SURFACE STREETS ONLY FOR NEXT 10 DAYS, 54 MILES A DAY ROUND TRIP COMMUTE THROUGH DOWNTOWN LA. ERRATIC IDLE LAST DAY ON ROAD – STALLED 7 TIMES ON WAY HOME.

12-22-10: PARKED TRUCK AT 77,761. LATER DISCOVERED IDLE SPEED CONTROL ACTUATOR SHOT – (STANDARD PRODUCTS UNIT).

OVER $3,000 SPENT IN PARTS AND LABOR + 6 RENTAL CARS, BORROWED RIDES…

THANKS TO ALL FOR POSITIVE INPUT & OPINIONS.

SIGNED, A STUBBORN CONVERTIBLE DAKOTA OWNER OF THE PAST 6 YEARS & MOSTLY 33,452 TROUBLE FREE MILES.

( The End )

Does it trigger/set any codes in the computer? A trip to a good dyno shop might help isolate the problem.

Doesn't trigger/set any codes. Today i was able to remove the aftermarket idle speed control actuator (adjusting stud broke!) and replace it with a used factory unit that came with the used throttle body that i got last fall from minnesota. Set it up and took it for a limited trial run around the neighborhood - so far so good. Will venture out a little farther tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

I had an 88 Ramcharger back in the day that had similar issues. After several days of troubleshooting and parts replacement, it turned out to be a connector near the battery with corrosion. It was a large wire, with a bullet connector in it, and appeared to be sealed, but was not. After it was cut out, and soldered, the thing ran normally again.

The problem came on suddenly, too. It kicked and bucked and was rather violent, but was nearly impossible to find.

When the Speed Pickup Sensor went on my 2000 Dakota had real simular issues.
Replaced it and all was good again.
Maybe ya got it with the broken Adjuster Stud!

Also try here:http://www.dodgedakotas.com/

Let us know.

Later, Bruce B.

I had a vehicle with a mystery stalling/starting problem that I finally traced down to the fuel injection harness that had rubbed on the fuel rail and would intermittantly short to ground. It was a bear to find and happened mostly when wet out but could and did happen anywhere and everywhere. It would not set off any codes either.

Planned on going a little farther today (to the parts store to exchange the warranty idle speed control actuator) and after leaving home, went just 2 blocks and the engine quit at the first traffic light. Restarted and drove around the block with no issues before I ventured on any farther. Made 2 stops in roughly a 5 mile round trip with no further issues. I'm inclined to agree with ramcharger and damnimcooltom that there is an intermittent electrical issue (needle in the haystack). Thanks for your input guys

-
Back