Typical cost for quality re-upholstery job on an old bucket seat?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
It goes without saying that this cost will vary quite a bit depending on the type of seat, materials, condition of the foam, location, etc. But what would is a ballpark cost of to having a bucket seat covered in OEM-looking vinyl upholstery?

What did you pay? Would you do it again?

Gets pricey. Ballpark for one seat? $500 for a quality shop to do it. For my current build, no I wouldn't do it. Six figure investment build, sure.

I bought Legendary covers for approx $500 for both, did the bottoms myself ( $12 HF hog ring pliers and another $12 in TSC rings) and had a shop do the backs for $45 each.

I bought Legendary covers for approx $500 for both, did the bottoms myself ( $12 HF hog ring pliers and another $12 in TSC rings) and had a shop do the backs for $45 each.
I paid 350 for both front buckets through Dante's and covered them myself for free. my buns were firm so I reused them. they look fantastic and wrinkle free. it was easy peasy

Well, I'm not done yet...

I bought Legendary front bucket covers ($400), seat foam($230). Miscellaneous glues, rings, pliers and foam saw($80)...

I was quoted by a good rep local shop that is familiar with the legendary materials; they would install all for $260 per seat... so I'm doing the work myself but I can see now that the cost for the labor is probably worth it. My hands hurt and I second guess every step.

Just waiting now for a couple of loose ends so I can finish the job. I hope I'm proud enough at the end to post pics of the work!

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!
Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. On a car like mine, $1,000 on two reupholstered seats is kinda like a $20 shine on a $3 pair of boots.

I have the new seat covers and was quoted 700 to have these installed in my 65 Barracuda

I did a few before I had the internet or any other resources. I took it slow, fumbled my way through, and second guessed every step of the way. They all came out fine. I'm sure there's a million videos and articles now that you could do it with a much higher degree of confidence than I did back then. You will get the panicked "10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag feeling"...it will fit though.

Also there's special duckbill pliers for pulling (I don't know what they're called). I used duckbill vice grips with felt to protect the vinyl. Without these your fingers and wrists will hate you.

-
Back