UCA bolts stuck rant

-
If you go with the "hot wrench"...….
torch-001-small-jpg.jpg

Make sure you have this handy JIC...…..
upload_2018-6-5_14-1-23.png

MAP gas and a propane torch tip may get them moving.

I often wonder what the non rust belt mechanics do while we spend all the extra hours fighting with rusty seized bolts. Drink beer? Watch tv?

LOL!
Damn good question.

I think that a lot of them come on the forums and spend their extra time making us jealous about their clean classic cars and year-round driving season. :D

To update this thread, I did get a torch and used about a full bottle of gas on one bolt. stink, smoke, pounding, still would not budge. Sawzall blade went through it pretty good. After making one cut and a little deeper inspection of the remaining half bolt, I found the frame rail mount for the UCA way too rotted out. Soooo...looking for some frame rails at this point. the whole upper part between the mounts is gone. It was so full of crap I couldn't tell until I picked it out. I haven't dug into the passenger side but my hopes are not too high. I will have to leave the rust and put it together to roll it on a trailer as I cant weld for **** and would like a pro job for repairs or replacements.

Dang, sorry bout the bad luck

Wow, i really feel for you guys back East, in the rust belt states, working on old cars.
Too bad they all can't be Arizona, California, Nevada, out here in the West cars.
Ya, this would be me thinking about you folks working on rust.
(lol, sorry just had to go and do it, post it)

Bart Simpson.jpg

..............Soooo...looking for some frame rails at this point. the whole upper part between the mounts is gone. It was so full of crap I couldn't tell until I picked it out...……...

Are you looking to replace the brackets or just the frame top. I see Classic has brackets with top frame rail sections...….
Dodge Dart Parts | Suspension | Front Suspension | Control Arms | Classic Industries
I have a pair of used brackets that appear to be solid. There may be enough of the frame rail tops as well. The rail bottoms are gone as the k-member had been cut out previously...…….
upload_2018-6-11_18-21-48.png

upload_2018-6-11_18-41-25.png

upload_2018-6-11_18-42-8.png

Thanks for info. I am just going to add some metal back in without removing the frame. Only one area close to a bracket is rusted through and the remaining area's are all solid.

-
Back