UNBELIEVABLY but True

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Any of you who have tried to help me over the last fews days won't believe this. After taking the carb off this morning I found my 16 year old, who we are restoring this car for and was helping me, I found when he put the carb on the base plate he placed another gasket on top of it blocking the suction to the pvc. Thus causing the blowby to occur.
Thank you for the patience you have give me in this endevor. This is suppose to help parents and their children grow closer together so I don't think I'll tell him.What do you think?
Thanks again
Tommy

I think you should tell him. Mistaks will be made. If he don't know he made it he won't learn nothing. Tell him but in a nice way what he did then tell him the right way.

I agree with Burntorange 70, use this as a teaching/learning experience. He'll be on the lookout next time not to make the same mistake.
Mistakes are usually the best way to learn. Much better than out of a book IMO.
Sounds like a great father/son project.

I think everyone could learn something here. The man who took it apart is the man to put it back together. I refuse to put back together what I didn't take apart.
Another point is every carb kit contains gaskets for several models/applications. Always compare and match the new to the old.

Hey Bud, let him know. On my end my son spent loads of time working with me on my Darts and Dart Sport. Goes back to when he was about eight. I was putting a new intake/exhaust gasket on the 72 slant Dart. It was outside with limited light in a gravel/grass area. It was getting late and I wanted to get done but could not find one intake nut. I dug in the box and found a spare and tightened it down, hooked everything up and fired the beast only to find the missing nut went into the motor trashing a cylinder and the head. MY MISTAKE was not asking my innocent son if he messed with the nuts FIRST. When asked he told me he found one on the ground and stuck it in one of the square holes on the side of the engine because he thought it would get dark and I would not be able to find it and get mad so he thought he was helping me. I think I handled it right because he is grown now and he has taken over my Dart Sport and drives it daily and does all the work on it himself. My lack of communication cost me a motor. My wisdom saved a relationship with my son. Any advice good or bad will not hurt and only bring you closer with your kid in the end. Its all how you handle it!!
Chas.

Keep it coming guys. Like RedFish said, we should all learn something.

If you don't make mistakes you are not doing anything:cheers:
is what I have learned
and been told many times8) Let him know and it will be good for him to know
why and and it will stick and he will see the light.

Wow my tiny spell just disapired:angry7:

Beat him then lock him in the closet with no food for a week. That will teach him! :toothy10::toothy10:

Mistakes will be made it's all part of learning how to work on a car. I remember changing the tire on my minibike all by myself when I was about 6 years old....with a hammer. I had to get all the spokes off in order to get the tire off.

Most definatly let him know...

Years ago I was helping my Dad (an electrician) on a job and he trusted me enought to leave and let me wrap thigns up. He got called back to fix my error and he let me know about it. It cost him a few bucks and a probably a repeat customer. But the point is, to this day I think about that one time and he could have not told me about it. Everytime I think I am ok on something I think of that one time and tend to look over eveything I do. I am not an electrician, but have climbed up the ladder a good bit for what I do. And I owe 100% of that to my Dad.

Ya,we learn from our mistakes,patience is key:cheers:

let him know and explain how it works so he wont do a similar mistake again. And lie a little and say you might have done the same thing.

I had discussed it with my son before I made the post, but was just curious what everyone else may have done. It seems we are of one accord on this one. He was excited till he started the car and now it will not idle on its on. Getting gas and fire so I think the vacumn hose to the pvc has a leak.
HAVE A GREAT DAY,

The fuel / air mixture will have to be readjusted.

I agree tell in a way that he will understand youre not mad, you just want him to know that he should make sure that he knows why it was wrong and tell him how to fix it. at least he has someone to tell him. my dad is car illiterate pretty much, when i make a mistake i gotta take days going over what i did and figuring out how to fix the problem by myself. it gets frustrating at times, but hey thats why i got u guys right, like my car LITERATE family. lol

-
Back