Undercoating?

-

TF360

Reaction score
What do you guys think about undercoating with Rubberized spray cans the way we used too years ago. I have a car that was ziebarted over 30 years ago and it protected the under side all these years. My current Duster is unbelievable underneath (California car), and I would like to protect it because it is so nice. Would like to use spray cans.

I've always had good luck with 3M rubberized undercoating. I've tried some others and they didn't dry as fast.

My 70 Dart is a Ca car too. Real nice underneath with factory undercoating. I would think some type of the spray can coating would work well, better than none. Florida now? Keep it dry for sure!

If you use the paintable undercoating, it needs to be painted.

I was at Bi-Mart just recently and seeing in their paint section where they had rattle cans of undercoating? I hadn't previously seen it before. I want to say one of the can said sound deadening also?

Personally the underside of my car is never seen water since I've owned it. and the top sides only seen it once or twice a year when I wash it LOL a little more go than show..

3M rubberized only . put on one coat let set up and apply a second coat. The first coat always gets pin holes when it sets up. If you have a bright paint under it you will see specs of color under a light.

I have had cars come here for repairs after they applied bed liner for under coating and on interior floors. I send them on their way.

Also the sound deaden er aluminum covered foam. I won't weld or do repairs on a car with it on. Dave put it on his Valiant floor. Ask him how hard it was to remove so we could install a front clip. when that stuff starts burning its hard to put out.

So are you saving the car? Or destroying its chance to be saved in the future. It would be like bringing me a flat tire to repair filled with fix-a-flat . I won't even put it on my tire machine.

how much is the car gonna see bad weather these days? may be a waste of time if its only a fair weather cruiser. occasional rain isn't gonna hurt anything. these cars were daily drivers back then and i'm sure it helped back then.. but unless its a daily driver i see no need to undercoat it.. i'd maybe do the wheelwell areas but thats about it for me..

Last edited:
I guess if a guy did the floor on a rotisserie and wanted it to shine like the top side, he definitely does not want undercoat! I clean my floors best I can lying on my 71 yr old back, spray acid to kill the rust, epoxy prime, heavy equipment enamel over that, then use the factory style rubber undercoat. Works for me.

Here is what My next move with The Duster in the spray area. The car is getting ready for paint. I will purchace. 2 gallon of black Rustolium paint and 2 quarts of Chassis saver . Mix them together.

I seal the quarters with tape along the pinch welds. Take the plugs out and Tape the hole shut in the rear drop downs. Tape all the weep holes on the rockers.

I get a small cup and pore the mixture in one quarter in the trunk area. I pore it on the outer wheel house and let it run and fill the drop down area. Pore as much as you want In. reach in with a small brush and slosh it around.
I put a lower on one side seam behind the drop down facing up so I can pore it in the seam. put the can under the car and pull the tape off the hole and let it drain back into the can.

repeat on the other side. After you are done . reduce the remaining mixture with Rustolium reducer.

I mix it thin and pore the rest in the front quarters behind the door panels to fill as much of the rockers same as the rear one at a time. Drain them by pulling the tape off slow one weep hole at a time. I save the remaining mixture and spray the body underneath before paint. Painting the car and undercoat over the mixture.
under coating doesn't get in the seams that is the reason for spraying them first.

Wait until after paint to undercoat the car . This covers over spray from painting. This is how I stop the rust from inside out. When you weld panels on they will rust through at the welds on the inside real quick unless you get paint on them between the seams.

You get in all the cracks that way- Do you use the oil based Rustoleum?

-
Back